PDA

View Full Version : Interesting on chrome...

scooterguitar
07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I am borrowing this from another forum that has nothing to dow ith cars, thsi guy is from Sweden and shared the following. I have no clue as to his expertise or dementia! But, nonetheless, maybe someone can add or discredit...
"I learned long ago (some 25 yrs) from a man that been Chroming parts for Show- and veteran/vintagecars since the fifties that chrome should be waxed!
He had a secret formula that he shared with me... Pay attention now guys! He took some bee's wax melted it into a cup, added some 10 to 15 % carosin and let it cool of. You then have a lump-or bar or whatever shape your cup had of his secret formula.

The magic is that bee wax is the only wax that is fine enogh to penetrate the very hard smooth surface of chrome. All other stuff stays on top of it!

The way to apply it is to use a hairdryer or similar to warm the part that should be waxed, it should feel warm but not hot!
Then you take the wax bar and attach wax and use what I think is called elbow grease over in the US. If needed add some more warmth to make it easier to 'smear' it out and polish it until it's crystal clear.

This can be done during off season, and then it's enogh to gently clean it during the season using only stuff that you like to use on your own skin. If you have tough riding conditions with a lot of rain and wash your ride very often, don't be afraid to put on some ordinary wax. It's better to have 'on top' than not at all. The man told me that wax can NEVER destroy chrome. But acid rain or salt that sticks on chrome can penetrate and cause the metal to corrode from inside. "

abrcrombe
07-05-2006, 09:59 PM
LOL, sounds like a plausible choice. I would try it, but I don't have any chrome!

Surfer
07-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Interesting, I just use Klasse AIO on my chrome.