PDA

View Full Version : recommend a good wax

4pbears
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
can anyone suggest a good wax or sealant that will work well on lighter colors?

Dave.

Surfer
01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I think Duragloss 105 and AW are pry the best combo on light colors, but I also like waxes like Natty's Blue as it gave a darker look to the paint (on white). So many good choices from AG you really can't go wrong with any of them.

D
01-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Pinnacle Signature Series II.

Wolf-Strong
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I am still not sold on the whole 'this wax is better for lighter colors while this one is better for darker colors'. After all, it isn't the pigment layer that we are working on; it is the clear coat. If a wax gives a black car the look your aiming for, wouldn't it make sense that it would do the same for the white car if we are only working on the clear? Vise versa, if a wax doesn't produce the look your aiming for on a black, what reasoning would be there that it would give the right look on the white?

With that said though, all the waxes listed do a fantastic job on any color and you can't go wrong with them. I honestly believe though that the wax isn't going to help the look of your car to a point where you will even be able to notice it, rather I believe the prep work in how well you clay/polish the car will decide on how good the car looks.

As for waxes/sealants, I would look into one that would give you most of what you are looking for. Do you want a durable wax? A wax that protects well (remember, protect and durable are two different words)? Something that won't stain the trim? Cheap? Smells good? Easy to work with in the most variety of conditions?

What I am trying to say is give us a good idea on what you are looking to get out of a wax, outside of just looks. I highly doubt looks are your only requirement when you really think about it.

D
01-04-2008, 02:15 AM
I honestly believe though that the wax isn't going to help the look of your car to a point where you will even be able to notice it, rather I believe the prep work in how well you clay/polish the car will decide on how good the car looks.

Exactly.

Bernard
01-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Collinite 476S / IW 845... :P

supercharged
01-04-2008, 05:41 AM

Dave.
DG #105/ Collinite 845/476S for max durability.
Liquid Souveran for bright shine.

Brace1
01-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Also consider Max Wax

Cashcrazy
01-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Dave.

Do you prefer a wax or a sealant? The Poorboy's Paste wax is the best "bang for the buck" that I have found. I have also read really good things about the DP Max Wax but I have not had the chance to try it.

Cashcrazy
01-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I forgot to add that I use PB's wax on my personal cars. It goes on smooth and somes off easy. I am very happy with it.

cls
01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Klasse AIO,SG and S100 or Collinte 845

makdaddy626
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I am still not sold on the whole 'this wax is better for lighter colors while this one is better for darker colors'. After all, it isn't the pigment layer that we are working on; it is the clear coat. If a wax gives a black car the look your aiming for, wouldn't it make sense that it would do the same for the white car if we are only working on the clear? Vise versa, if a wax doesn't produce the look your aiming for on a black, what reasoning would be there that it would give the right look on the white?

I have some suspicions about why one wax will give the "right" look on dark colors and another will look better on lights, but it's only a theory.

Some waxes contain more polymers and other shine enhancers, these look better on light colors because light colors, especially white are less reflective than a dark color. A LSP that gives light colors that extra "pop" may make a dark color look to shiney, the "plastic" look that we associate with many sealants. Conversely, a wax that doesn't contain these properties may be great on dark colors to help achieve that "deep" look, but would leave a white car looking more bland since it lacks the reflectiveness to give depth perception anyway.

Any thoughts?

02CAMSS
01-04-2008, 10:49 AM
For light colors I like
1.sig ser II
2.max wax
3.Natty blue(looks good even on light colors)

Jimmie
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Pinnacle Sig Series II or Liquid Souveran, IMO

Surfer
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
3.Natty blue(looks good even on light colors)Agree, though I primarily use AW now as I don't have much time. But NB has a darkening ability and its noticeable on white, my truck is white and would take on a darker/warmer glow then a sealant or wax like Collinite for example. I once put 3 coats of NB on after polishing, no sealant, just NB, very noticeable compared to using EX-P.