PDA

View Full Version : Detailing questions...

KJW Detailing
01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone!

So, today i am at work and while detailing a Lexus GX and an RX i though of a few things i'd like to know...

First...The GX470 has alot of plastic molding, tight areas, and chrome badging...what do you do when operating a high speed buffer with all the plastic, chrome badges and tight spots between both plastic molding and badges?

Second...the way everyone i work with does interior details just doesn't seem correct to me...i mean is it ok to spray chemicals all over the leather seats then wipe down or should the chemical be applied to a rag and then applied to the material?

Third...when cleaning seats (leather specifically) i notice little pores or whatever where dirt gets trapped...sometimes i can get it out and other time i can maybe b/c im affraid of rubbing too hard and rubbing the color right out of the leather...what is the best or most effective way to clean leather seats...in order to get the grit and grim out?

Thanks...most likely more to come haha!

Jimmie
01-03-2008, 09:07 PM
First: I always use masking tape on those areas with my Makita but not with my PC.
Second: Hot leather can spot by spraying directly on the leather so I now spray the leather cleaner on a damp MF and apply conditioner to a dry MF.
Third: You're correct not to rub too hard on leather. You will just drive the dirt into it. Best to use a leather brush to lightly agitate and then wipe with more cleaner on a damp MF.

D
01-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree with Jimmie. Use tape and smaller pads (4") if needed.

Might want to try using a boar's hair brush.