PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about glaze and ipa 50/50.

Lasthope05
12-31-2007, 10:15 PM
So I've been seeing a few people using a glaze and wonder then you guys do an IPA wipedown do you do it before you glaze or after you glaze? I know the IPA is to clean the surface so a wax/sealant will adhere better but when you use it after you glaze will it remove the oils/acrylic in the glaze depending on which product I use?

Is it:

Polish
IPA Wipedown
Glaze
Sealant

or

Polish
Glaze
IPA Wipedown
Sealant

Thanks a bunch,
Alan

The Skillmaster
01-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Alcohol remove any glaze you put on.

Z06-Goose
01-01-2008, 02:26 AM
The purpose of the glaze is to give you some pop to your finish, by applying IPA after a glaze, you're neglecting the benefits of the glaze, and it may be a necessary step if you intend to apply a sealant. On the other hand, if you're topping it with a carnauba wax, then an IPA wipedown will not be necessary
That said, there are also some polymer based glazes that will provide good bonding to a sealant, which in such case an IPA wipedown will not be necessary...

lethalxls1
01-01-2008, 02:52 AM
:iagree::cheers:

ScottB
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
any wipedown would remove a glaze and thus makes it an unnecessary step. Only use glazes when moving to a carnauba finishing wax.

KG21
01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
So you folks that are using carnauba as an LSP, are you not doing an IPA post-polish? I know the main purpose is to promote sealant bonding, but does it also provide any noticeable clarity by cleansing the paint prior to carnauba?

Thanks!!

Lasthope05
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guy. But for an acrylic based glaze such as Danase wet glaze will an IPA also remove that?

So its basically and IPA before any types of glazes right? Oil based glaze would be for carnuaba wax only and acrylic based for a wax or sealant?

-Alan

D
01-02-2008, 02:05 AM
So you folks that are using carnauba as an LSP, are you not doing an IPA post-polish? I know the main purpose is to promote sealant bonding, but does it also provide any noticeable clarity by cleansing the paint prior to carnauba?

Thanks!!

Swissvax sells a cleaner fluid to use before applying the wax. So I think you'll see benefits of doing the wipe down before applying a sealant or wax. But another very important purpose of the wipe down is to remove any oils from the polish that could be hiding imperfections. Youll notice that pretty much any polish will hide some imperfections, even if it doesnt have "fillers."

KG21
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Swissvax sells a cleaner fluid to use before applying the wax. So I think you'll see benefits of doing the wipe down before applying a sealant or wax. But another very important purpose of the wipe down is to remove any oils from the polish that could be hiding imperfections. Youll notice that pretty much any polish will hide some imperfections, even if it doesnt have "fillers."

Awesome!! Thanks for clearing that up, Dan!! Sorry for the hijack.

Bert31
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
. Only use glazes when moving to a carnauba finishing wax.

Using an acrylic polymer glaze such as Danase Wet Glaze works outstanding with sealants (and carnaubas too). It is only glazes that are oil based rather than acrylic polymer based that you have to use a carnauba afterwords.

cjbigcog
01-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Is RMG an acrylic polymer glaze?

D
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
No it is not.

Bert31
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Is RMG an acrylic polymer glaze?

To the best of my knowledge no, it is oil based as D&D said. It seems to me the majority are oil based.

_M_
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
does everybody use the 70% ipa or the 91%ipa?