PDA

View Full Version : 50:50 alcohol/water mix

Wolf-Strong
12-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I wanted to try this for the windows to remove some of the heavy film and also just for general use, but the one question that I have on this is whether it should be Ethanol or Isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?

Thejoyofdriving
12-31-2007, 09:56 PM
I use Isopropyl alcohol, that seems to be what everyone here uses too.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
IPA is what I use

TOGWT
01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Ethanol is used in laboratories, this type of work generally needs a 100% perfectly clean finish, hence the use of ethanol.

Isopropyl alcohol is more readily available and less expensive than ethanol, for detailing work a 1:1 solution of IPA / distilled water usually provides sufficient paint surface cleaning.

Using 70% strength isopropyl alcohol in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio (50/50 % mixture) use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part distilled water (See relevant sections for usage and dilution used.) Mix solution in a spray bottle, spray onto clean paint surface, and wipe off with a micro fibre towel.

DJBAILEY
01-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Ethanol is used in laboratories, this type of work generally needs a 100% perfectly clean finish, hence the use of ethanol.

Isopropyl alcohol is more readily available and less expensive than ethanol, for detailing work a 1:1 solution of IPA / distilled water usually provides sufficient paint surface cleaning.

Using 70% strength isopropyl alcohol in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio (50/50 % mixture) use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part distilled water (See relevant sections for usage and dilution used.) Mix solution in a spray bottle, spray onto clean paint surface, and wipe off with a micro fibre towel.

I do the same procedure but recently I have been adding 1 drop of ONR with an eye dropper to the mixture (in 3oz mister). I like the little bit of extra cleaning power and lubricity.

Old Pirate
01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I use 70% Isopropyl alcohol and 30% Distilled water.