PDA

View Full Version : using glaze, yes or no?

4pbears
12-29-2007, 06:13 PM
i am just wondering if taking the extra step of applying a layer of glaze is worth it. or in other words, will applying it add much to the vechicles overall look when your done. if you do include the glazing step, what brand of glaze do you use?

Thanks Dave.

D
12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
In my opinion, you dont need it if you polish correctly. Thats just me though.

redg35
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
i am just wondering if taking the extra step of applying a layer of glaze is worth it. or in other words, will applying it add much to the vechicles overall look when your done. if you do include the glazing step, what brand of glaze do you use?

Thanks Dave.
I still like a glaze on a dark colored car cause it adds the extra pop.I use rmg and danase wet glaze as my go too.

Fly bye
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
The XMT glaze does have some cleaning properties. Therefore, if the finish is very good condition, you could skip the polishing process, and just use the glaze.

mixxer
12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
i think its a good extra step for a show car but other than that not really need. IMHO i think the oils in most glazes decrease bonding and durability,but thats just my opinion.

StephenK
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
i think its a good extra step for a show car but other than that not really need. IMHO i think the oils in most glazes decrease bonding and durability,but thats just my opinion.

:whs::whs::whs::whs:

have to make sure glaze and LSP will bond together. and like everyone else has said if you want that extra pop use it. just know what each one contains. some glazes have very lite cleaning properties and others(most) have filling properties

ricka
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I've used Megs #5 and #7 on a repainted A6 hood until I can wax it. Not impressed at all. Might be worthy on single stage paint, but on a good clear coat doesn't add anything whether its gloss or slickness. Even when applying a thin coat and wiping immediately its a ##### to remove. Smells funny too. Worse part is its has no durability whatsoever.

That said maybe the Clearkote Moose is worthy but nothing compares to a good sealant and wax.

Bert31
12-29-2007, 11:45 PM

:whs::whs::whs::whs:

have to make sure glaze and LSP will bond together. and like everyone else has said if you want that extra pop use it. just know what each one contains. some glazes have very lite cleaning properties and others(most) have filling properties

If you use a glaze like Danase Wet Glaze, you will be fine. Danase Wet Glaze does not have oils in it, it has acrylic polymers and makes you paint look great.

lethalxls1
12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
On my black car I used RMG before Souveran Paste and if made a big difference IMO.

Low Tech
12-30-2007, 12:11 AM
+2 for Danase Wet Glaze - Used it on my flawless new non-metallc black finish (new paint, but nevertheless clayed, polished and AIO-cleaned). Truly made a noticeable difference.

DWG is indeed acrylic and can be used over/under/between layers of sealant.

TOGWT
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
A glaze is purely an aesthetic product that contains a very, very light abrasive (Kaolin) to lightly burnish the surface. A glaze provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concourse show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

They are also used on a ‘thin’ clear coat (bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 mil (0.0003") of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure) if the clear coat thickness has been reduced by this amount apply a glaze as opposed to using an abrasive polish; risking further clear coat reduction

trhland
12-30-2007, 09:00 AM
A glaze is purely an aesthetic product that contains a very, very light abrasive (Kaolin) to lightly burnish the surface. A glaze provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concourse show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

They are also used on a ‘thin’ clear coat (bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 mil (0.0003") of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure) if the clear coat thickness has been reduced by this amount apply a glaze as opposed to using an abrasive polish; risking further clear coat reduction
does polishing with a p/c and a white lakecountry pad and a final finishing polish/menzerna 85rd really remove any clear? if so how much?

Surfer
12-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I like the acrylics glazes like Danase and ## (have EZ Creme). I still have RMG which is awesome but give the acrylics the edge, they have the durability and can easily bond with sealant or wax and be layered, whereas oil type glaze fade away and cause the lsp to be less durable. I have XMT Glaze and don't care for it.

But I've haven't been using much of anything except for AW b/c of ease and time.