PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna or xmt

Pages : [1] 2

alain
12-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Great forum!

I am a new member and have a few questions.

I order a pc7424 with some pads I was thinking to get some xmt but i saw a lot of good reviews for the menzerna stuff here so can you use this stuff with a DA and what you suggest me for the polish and pad(css) to use.

I have a 2004 toyota (dark red) with moderate swirls and a few light scrtaches.
my other vehicule is a brand new f-150 2008 (dark blue pearl) with some very very light swirls made by the dealer.

I was thinking for the toyota:

White pad with 106FF
grey pad with micro polish
bleu pad with finishing glaze

THe F-150 now:

White or gray pad with po85RD
blue with finishing glaze.

D
12-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Get some SIP and 106. Ive got XMT 1-4, PM me if you're interested. But Menzerna is 100x better.

Fly bye
12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I have never used Menzerna, but have heard nothing but rave reviews. Menzerna comes in differen't types and grades. I myself have used XMT polish. It takes a lot of effort using the XMT/PC combo for removing moderate/severe swirls/scratches. Since I have been using XMT, Pinnacle has come out with XMT #4, which should make swirl/scratch removal easier.

Basically, it's like this: Apply polish, work with PC, remove with MF, and repeat until defects are gone. If you have the skill to remove the defects with either the #3, or #4, you would then use #1 to burnish the finish and remove any haze.

XMT works for me, it's what I used when I first used my PC. The XMT line is a good product, and would be good for honing polishing skills, but I suspect that the Menzerna line is a better product. (and cost's more too)

budman3
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Menzerna is a pain to work with via PC. If you want good and easy results get the XMT or Poorboy SSRs. If you cave into the hype of Menzerna, where the superior results are from using a rotary, 106FF is a good choice. Menzerna will work with a PC but its going to take a lot of effort... So if you want to spend the $$ and work with a finiky & difficult polish go for Menz or if you want nice, easy and still good results you can't go wrong with XMT or SSRs.

Dust2Glory
12-27-2007, 01:32 PM
dude spend the money and go with Menz... get sip and 106ff and that's all you need. 85rd would be best of your ford for maintaining swirls. orange pad with sip, green pad with 106, white pad for 85

D
12-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Menzerna works fine with the PC, sure not as well compared to using it with the rotary, but it still works well. Id still pick it over XMT any day.

makdaddy626
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
One more vote for Menz. I bought the XMT polishes when I got my PC several months ago, they worked well, but being the experimentor I am, I had to try the Menz that everyone was talking about. There's definately a difference in the final amount of gloss and (for me) they corrected better too. If you're the kind of person that's not going to be satisfied with something everyone says isn't quite as good, save yourself some money and get the Menz stuff first, you won't be sorry.

Thejoyofdriving
12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I get mazing results from my DA with Menzerna, i love the stuff, my only wish is that it dusted less and that it was less picky about the temp/humidity. I never used too many of the xmt polishes but i wouldnt doubt Menzerna polishes would be superior.

justin_murphy
12-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I would go with neither to tell you the truth.
Meguiar's #83 and the new #105 will walk all over both........and put a lot back into your wallet. They are not as finicky as Menzerna and finish out better than XMT. I can make 83 a compound, polish, or finishing polish with pad selection. It works so well with the PC too. Menzerna needs heat and a lot of it to work right. Read the bottles. Not one word on it about being used with a DA aka PC.

supercharged
12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Great forum!

I am a new member and have a few questions.

I order a pc7424 with some pads I was thinking to get some xmt but i saw a lot of good reviews for the menzerna stuff here so can you use this stuff with a DA and what you suggest me for the polish and pad(css) to use.

I have a 2004 toyota (dark red) with moderate swirls and a few light scrtaches.
my other vehicule is a brand new f-150 2008 (dark blue pearl) with some very very light swirls made by the dealer.

I was thinking for the toyota:

White pad with 106FF
grey pad with micro polish
bleu pad with finishing glaze

THe F-150 now:

White or gray pad with po85RD
blue with finishing glaze.
Toyota is known to have very soft clear coat. So I'd use PO85RD on it instead of PO106FF. PO85RD offers less "bite".
Ford on the the other hand has much harder clear coat. So save your PO106FF for it, you will really need it.

Thejoyofdriving
12-27-2007, 10:20 PM
DA aka PC.

your making it seem like they are the same:confused: DA=Dual Action hence orbital motion with a forced rotation PC aka orbital = only orbital motion. I dont think that i would be wrong in saying that DA's build up more heat than a orbital, and correct better, since there is a lot more going on. I agree that menzerna is designed for use with a rotary, but i think that there are plenty of people that would agree that Menzerna works great on any machine, better with some of course.

And im not sure about this whole Meguiars polish, im a skeptic when it comes to meguiars. I personally dont believe in such claims that one polish can serve as a compound or finishing polish depending on pad choice, in my mind it just doesn't make sense. sure using a cretin polish you will archive more or less bite depending on the pad used but i highly doubt that it can stretch the span of compound to finishing polish depending on pad selection.

budman3
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
your making it seem like they are the same:confused: DA=Dual Action hence orbital motion with a forced rotation PC aka orbital = only orbital motion. I dont think that i would be wrong in saying that DA's build up more heat than a orbital, and correct better, since there is a lot more going on. I agree that menzerna is designed for use with a rotary, but i think that there are plenty of people that would agree that Menzerna works great on any machine, better with some of course.

And im not sure about this whole Meguiars polish, im a skeptic when it comes to meguiars. I personally dont believe in such claims that one polish can serve as a compound or finishing polish depending on pad choice, in my mind it just doesn't make sense. sure using a cretin polish you will archive more or less bite depending on the pad used but i highly doubt that it can stretch the span of compound to finishing polish depending on pad selection.

Its called diminishing abrasives. A lot of products have them. The longer you work a polish the smaller the abrasives get. And as I said above Menz will work with any machine but it can be a nightmare for the user as you noted with the dusting and weather problems. They dont fully break down (diminish) and are terrible to remove. But if you want to work for the results Menzerna may be the way to go. Once you (anyone) get spoiled with easy to use products you'll realize where I'm coming from. FWIW I have been using Menz off and on for over 3 years...

Thejoyofdriving
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Its called diminishing abrasives. A lot of products have them. The longer you work a polish the smaller the abrasives get.

Really! you dont say? j/k They break down but, they start with a high initial bite, and you have to break them down till they become a finishing polish. What he is saying/ or what it looks to me like he is saying that the initial bite of this so called megs polish will be that of either a compound or finishing polish depending on pad choice.

budman3
12-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Really! you dont say? j/k They break down but, they start with a high initial bite, and you have to break them down till they become a finishing polish. What he is saying/ or what it looks to me like he is saying that the initial bite of this so called megs polish will be that of either a compound or finishing polish depending on pad choice.

Gotchya, I missed the part about the different pads...:o I haven't used those products but I have used SSR2.5 with a light cut pad and finished with no micromarring which I condsidered LSP ready, which was actually very surprising to me. I have done it before plenty of times with a polishing pad and the results were usually great with no micromarring. Could the finish use more? Most likely but the differences would be marginal. It really depends on the vehicle, pad, and polish as you know... but I definitely wouldn't make it a habit of using a compound as a finishing polish (that's why they make final polishes). Sorry for the tangent.

ss-truck
12-28-2007, 01:23 AM
OK I keep hearing about Menz polishes being finicky depending on heat and humidity . I live in Mobile ,Al right on the coast and we have plenty of heat and humidity . So what kind of trouble am I looking at . I already have the Menz stuff and just have not had time to use it . I have rotary and p/c. thanks in advance