PDA

View Full Version : autogeek water softener and particle filter kit

dashotgun
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM
does anyone out there have naturaly soft water. I sure don't also because of small grit and fdirt on the water line I decided to try the Geeks softener and filter kit. One of my cars is a black acura TL and needs every advantage to stay looking good. I went with the kit b ecasue of convience. People who build home aquariums use both the grit filter and softener to protect there finny friends. Likewise Lowes etc sell filter aimed at drinking water. None suited myneeds exactly. Although you could put something together for washing cars for less the convience factor is importent. I got the deluxe kit which includes to canisters braqcket to hang on your wall a 1 micron filter and resin rechargable softener 1 bag of recharge and two nice mf cloths. 2 lenght of hoses( 3 and 2 feet.) everything was high quality with the exception of the hose ends which were poly and would not fit in well into the canister. A quick trip to Lowes solved that ( but they should have used brass ends for the money involved)
Every thing went together will and I was up washing in no time.
I washed both my cars with my foam gun and indeed it has not foamed so well. Both cars have recentlybeen detailed with Klasse and the acura has had its lsp so the sheeting action may not have been due to the water. i purpously left some water on to dry and there was minimal spotting.

Over all i would recomend this to anybody. the one micron filter does kill water pressue a bit and next filter ( good for about 3 months of daily use probably last a bit longer with intermittant use will be a 10 micron) Why clean dirt of your car then mar it with microscopic grit in your water? The advantge of using softer water is eaiser clean up less or no water spotting. Cons a bit pricey grit filter probably should be a 10 micron and chintzy hose hardware. Over all recomended

Neothin
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I too noticed the decreased water pressure but i still got alot of foam.

maybe i should get one for my house?

abrcrombe
07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
You are leaving for college Neo! You don't need it just yet...

ScottB
07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
I have been trying to secure one for testing for months, guess Jason is afraid I wont return it !!!

Surfer
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I saw a guy on a Porsche forum who had some kind of setup in his garage with this movable filter system thing set in. Was pretty big and had multiple filters I believe, wasn't cheap (well at least his) but worked very well.

I didn't think filters would last 3 months though. I talked to some guys with other systems and they were only getting a month at the most. Also I know like our showers and sinks in our house are a soft water system, but what about the hoses outside? FL in general has hard water though.

Neothin
07-05-2006, 07:44 PM
hard water in florida? nah... my water just has a slight whitish tint to it...

dashotgun
07-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I have been trying to secure one for testing for months, guess Jason is afraid I wont return it !!!it is a must for black cars!

belcherm58
07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Hard water! You should live in Kentucky. We are known for limestone.
They use to think that KY racehorses were better because of the limestone
in the water was better for the horses bones. You can leave a spot of water
on anything and when it dries, there is a white ring. I would invest in the
Autogeek filter system, except I live 8 miles fom town and the water pressure
already leaves something to be desired.

dashotgun
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
you can get just the water softener without the pre filter that would not drop the pressure much I think. Alternatly get the prefilter too and exhange it for a 10 micron filter they use a one and it is slightly restrictive.

GSteg
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Anyone else experiencing problems with their filter? I just received my inline filter from autogeek today and hooked it all up. I put the filter on the right way because it says 'this side up" and etc. I have water spots on my car, and i'm not talking little bit. It's just as bad as if I didn't have the filter at all., well maybe just 10% better. I tried using sediment filter and water softener cartridge and got the same results. :(

I can't say i'm 100% satisfied, but I hope someone can chime and and HOPEFULLY I made a mistake. I rather make a mistake than to blame the product.

btw, I did connect the hose the right way also. ;)

G-Me
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Hard water! You should live in Kentucky. We are known for limestone.

You're dead on about that. I live in KY and thought my water seemed expecially hard so I tested it and the levels were high (pH at 8.5, hardness over 250ppm...normal is 50ppm or less). I bought this kit as a must b/c I purchased a black G35, washed it once in a hurry w/o drying and it looked worst then before I washed it. Softener didn't eliminate hardness but did improve water substantially.

one question that I have not seen anyone ask or answer, how long does the softener last b/t charges? I know that it will vary depending on how hard that water and the amount of washes. Obviously my water is very hard and I wash 2-3 times per month. I'm not sure if I should be recharging after every couples washes or only a couples times a year. What do you guys do?

Thanks for any infoFeed back please