PDA

View Full Version : PC or Hand Job?

Pages : [1] 2

Reddwarf
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
What I am about to relate is heresy to this forum and will likely get me banned. ;)

I applied wax on the wife’s Nissan Quest. I started out with Meg’s Cleaner Wax (see Justin’s thread regarding the Land Rover) using my PC and an orange pad. I was not seeing any difference in the look of the car. I was also sweating profusely in the Texas heat so I decided to try applying the wax by hand. I could not tell a difference between the PC and the hand applied.

I did half the hood by PC and the other by hand. I can’t tell a difference, can you?

That being said, I am a newbie at this and perhaps my PC work is the real problem. I started out on 3 then increased it to 5/ 6. I tried to monitor myself and go slow. Removing the wax after the PC is easier than the hand process.

After applying the Meg’s Cleaner Wax I put a coat of DP Max Wax on the hood (by hand). I could not see a difference from the second coat. The DP Max Wax Paste was not as soft as I thought it would be. Don’t know why I thought it was soft. But I did like the ease of application and removal.

PS. Please forgive the title, I couldn't resist. :D

Surfer
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
lmao at title:D

justin_murphy
07-04-2006, 02:17 PM
lmao at title:D
Ditto.

Why would you get banned from what you posted?
We are all here to learn. How big of a section did you do at a time? Was there already wax on the hood?

It is silver. Kinda hard to see anything it.

Reddwarf
07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Ditto.

Why would you get banned from what you posted?
We are all here to learn. How big of a section did you do at a time? Was there already wax on the hood?

It is silver. Kinda hard to see anything it.

Just joking about being banned. You know, we all love the PC here!

With the PC I did a small section at a time, probably 2 x 2? sometimes less depending upon the area. I did the roof and half the van with the PC, but as i said using the old hand method did not seem to show any difference and it is a lot faster by hand.

The last time I applied wax to the Nissan was 6 months ago. I washed it and used clay bar before waxing.

justin_murphy
07-04-2006, 02:26 PM
OTC Cleaner Wax, as well as the Deep Crystal System, is designed to be applied by hand. That's why it's the #1 selling wax out there. I just use the PC (G100) because it's faster and I do 3 wax jobs a day sometimes.

Reddwarf
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I thought about putting a polish on first but frankly I was being lazy. The paint didn't look bad to begin with except for numerous chips and scratches that were too deep for the PC to get out anyway.

In conclusion, I think the Meg's Cleaner Wax was easy to apply and remove and it looked good afterwards. Especially nice since it was darn inexpensive! I bought it at Big Lots in a package of Cleaner Wax 32 oz and Quik Detailer 32 oz both for $9.99!

As for the DP Max Wax, I applied a layer of that to the hood simply because I wanted to give it a try. I had just received it from the sale! It was also easy to apply by hand and remove. I did not try using the PC on the Max Wax.

abrcrombe
07-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Looks good. When I did my car half and half, it was hard to see a difference looking straight on. When you stand on the side next to one of the tires, it helps a lot to see the difference. Try that and see if you see any difference. Probably won't though.

ScottB
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I think we should ban him ..... whatcha all think ?? Poll anyone ?????

abrcrombe
07-04-2006, 04:20 PM
LOL ban him for 1 minute. Then he will learn his lesson!!

BILL
07-04-2006, 04:34 PM
waxing by hand = caressing.........:)

abrcrombe
07-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Waxing by PC = saves time, and for a mobile detailer that is worth a lot. :D

ScottB
07-04-2006, 05:23 PM
waxing by hand = caressing.........:)

I like the way you think :p

Neothin
07-04-2006, 06:40 PM
as said above, you're not going to see much of a difference in lighter colors. the only time that i've really seen results on light colors is during the early morning and late evening when there is very little sunlight. in these lighting conditions you can clearly see a difference between a waxed and an unwaxed lighter color.

Reddwarf
07-04-2006, 08:27 PM
I thought the hand application went much faster. Maybe I sent too much time on the PC.

It rained this evening so when we went out, the newly waxed car got wet! That's okay because unlike the NE we badly need the rain and the wax job proved itself by the way the rain beaded and rolled off!

I mentioned at dinner that I waxed the wife's Quest and the Brother-in-law says "with the paint sealants on cars today there is no need to wax". I just said "well it helps to make the car look nice and it prolongs the finish." At least I know he won't be asking me to detail his car!

justin_murphy
07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I thought the hand application went much faster. Maybe I sent too much time on the PC.

It rained this evening so when we went out, the newly waxed car got wet! That's okay because unlike the NE we badly need the rain and the wax job proved itself by the way the rain beaded and rolled off!

I mentioned at dinner that I waxed the wife's Quest and the Brother-in-law says "with the paint sealants on cars today there is no need to wax". I just said "well it helps to make the car look nice and it prolongs the finish." At least I know he won't be asking me to detail his car!

With these new clearcoats why do we need to wax?

Hear a 100 times at the dealership I worked at.

Dummies.