PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Day Labor?

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Whom here, if anyone, has hired day labor?
I am completely swamped until mid January and I am struggling to stay caught up. I do not want to hire a part timer, let a lone a full timer just yet, as I am unsure how it will play out later on in January.
So I am looking at day labor. How do I go about it? Any fees to be payed?
Do I get to chose who I get to work with me, as in, do I get to look at their applications of what-not? I don't want some slob working with me.....Any insight?

Thanks
-Chris

Cashcrazy
12-20-2007, 08:07 PM
If you were about 2 hours East I would help you out!

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 08:08 PM
what town are you in?

Showroom Shine
12-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I wish I had that problem.I live in Ohio,and I run a Mobile business. I donot have a building . I have a garage, but that would involve going to get a vehicle then taking it back. I would have no way to get there or back. Move closer to Ohio and I'll come to help when it slow here!

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 08:16 PM
hahaha, you cannot pay me enough to move to colder weather.
Been in the mid 70's here. Though we have a cold front coming (50's) gonna be FREEEEEEZING..... hahaha

I'm just looking for someone to do grunt work right now. Wheels, tires, jambs, etc.... no one to do the buffing and such...

Jimmie
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
No experience with it here but I've got an idea. Sometimes schools are looking for businesses to offer work experience to their students. The first thing that I thought when I saw your question was, "workmans comp insurance". Maybe the school thing would be a way around it (don't know).

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
You don't need workmans comp. for day labor, correct? As long as it isn't over a certain amount of hours per day or week?

I do not know, as I have zero experience with the issue.
I did have a guy working for me, sort of a friend. He just wanted extra cash....

ehuth1
12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
craigslist ad might get you some attention. just scan their feedback when they reply to your ad and give them a call. Don't disclose any info on your buisness (make a temporary email address), just make the ad sound like this...

Extremely busy mobile detailing company looking for experienced help. Car cleaning experience preferred, please email job history and a little about yourself to detailingjob@yahoo.com

Reddwarf
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I have hired day laborers in Plano, TX. The City or the County runs a place where you drive up, tell them what you are looking for and they call a guy to come out of the throng of men yelling "pick me, pick me". I have not do this for detailing but I have for help with projects like painting, landscaping, building a shed, etc. I have had good luck with the process by getting guys that worked hard. However, they are not necessarily the most skilled. Plus I'm a failed product of public schools with no spanish speaking ability so communication was difficult.

With my experience, I'd say get one to help you wash a car, fetch things for you and clean up would be okay.

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 09:04 PM
so no workmans comp or other insurance was needed?

Reddwarf
12-20-2007, 09:11 PM
so no workmans comp or other insurance was needed?

No insurance is required by law. The guy at the Plano pick up place told me that a lot of landscapers come every morning and pick up many of the same guys every day. It's a way they can pay cash the labor. Seems wrong to me, but I can't begrudge the day laborers who need the money. Here is a link to the Plano City website about it. I know that is too far away but maybe some information on the page will be of help to you.

The City of Plano, Texas Official Website (http://www.plano.gov/Departments/Planning/Neighborhood+Services/day_labor.htm)

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 09:17 PM
thanks. I think I'll have to call the local office and see what is required.

Cashcrazy
12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
what town are you in?

Tyler