PDA

View Full Version : Wax Application by Hand

daveo
12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I saw this video the other day of this guy actually rubbing paste wax on his hands and then rubbing it over the paint of a car. Anyone ever tried this?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I saw this video the other day of this guy actually rubbing paste wax on his hands and then rubbing it over the paint of a car. Anyone ever tried this?

yes I have done this... any questions

I'd suggest you wear gloves

Tex Star Detail
12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
.........and take off rings (wedding) if you have one.

CalgaryDetail
12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
if you ue gloves try to use latex gloves (asumming you are mot alergic) i have found that the neoprene (the blue ones) can scratch... and as texas said take of all jelwery...

waxing by hand will be a mess at the start, you wil apply way to much, it takes some practice

just out of curosity, which video was it? a paul dalton on?

blk45
12-20-2007, 09:13 PM

There are certain waxes that this is recommended for. The warmth of your hands will soften the wax. I don't think it would be beneficial for regular paste waxes. IMO

CalgaryDetail
12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
There are certain waxes that this is recommended for. The warmth of your hands will soften the wax. I don't think it would be beneficial for regular paste waxes. IMO
there are a couple school of thought on this.. whaty my opion in dosent matter, im just stating some info

1. that applying anywax by hand is pointless

2. applying by hand is only needed for higer end waes

3. all waxes will benafit as there are oils in wax, ( to help soften it) if you use an applictor the oils will absorb into it and caue the wax near the end of the job to be more diluted then at the biggining, using you hands prevents this from happening allowing ofr a more even coat of wax.

Like i said these are some schools of though, my opion dose not matter

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
there are a couple school of thought on this.. whaty my opion in dosent matter, im just stating some info

1. that applying anywax by hand is pointless

2. applying by hand is only needed for higer end waes

3. all waxes will benafit as there are oils in wax, ( to help soften it) if you use an applictor the oils will absorb into it and caue the wax near the end of the job to be more diluted then at the biggining, using you hands prevents this from happening allowing ofr a more even coat of wax.

Like i said these are some schools of though, my opion dose not matter

Additional are:

4.applying by hand gives a more upscale appearance/feel

5. applying by hand is fun....

daveo
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
It was on youtube from what i believe was from an auto club show. I also ran across it on another site. It was some ridiculously priced wax. I was thinking about trying it out just for fun or to see if there was any added benefits.

thanks for all or any feedback
Dave

Thejoyofdriving
12-21-2007, 05:47 AM
It was some ridiculously priced wax.

Sounds like Zymol to me haha, but really ive tried it, and sure its kinda cool but truthfully i find that applying wax via polisher is much more effective, i find that i get a more even coat and use less wax when applying by machine. For me machine is the only way to go, but ive never used zymol waxes and im not so sure if machine application would be the best way to go, ive never seen someone using zymol wax with a machine, who know maybe for some few waxes like zymol by hand is the best method:confused:

Fly bye
12-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Pinnacle Souveran is pretty damn hard. As was already mentioned, the heat from your hand melts the wax, making it easy to apply. Otherwise, the stuff is as hard as rock.

ScottB
12-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Zymol was one of the first to suggest this type of application. Never found it anymore beneficial that foam pad application truthfully however. Your hands do feel funny and bead water quite well after application. :D