PDA

View Full Version : Flex DA Polisher- Initial Comments

Pages : [1] 2

Waxmax
12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Just received and tried the Flex DA polisher....very nice machine.

I am not a rotary user and this fits the bill nicely for me. Much more power and better cutting ability than the PC.... of course the Flex costs considerably more. It does take alittle more effort to use as compared to the PC mainly because of its slightly heavier weight and power. I give it a thumbs up.

killrflake
12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Showroom Shine
12-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Maybe I was so used to the weight of the rotory and so excited about the Flex I did not realize it's weight. I do not own a PC,and I do not use my friends enought to really remember. So I just pulled out the rotory and the Flex to compare the weight differences. My Chicago rotory weighs 5lbs. My Flex weighs 6 lbs. There is a weight difference of 1 pound. I do not know what any of the well known rotories weigh.
I have a felling it's more than the Flex. IMO it's not the weight,it's the mechanics of the machine that makes the difference. I can hold the Flex with one hand & buff and not worry about damage to the finish.The thumb speed ajustment is right there. You can put the speed dial at 6 (the highest) and start the machine slow and run it at any of the other speeds by using the trigger in the handle . I think the 1 pound makes it easier to control,the bale handle assist especially when in the verticle position on side panels. This machine has taken my business to a new and exciting level! Thanks AG and all who helped steer me to the FLEX!

Waxmax
12-21-2007, 10:04 AM
For me, compared to the PC7424, the Flex DA takes alittle more effort to manage, but not alot. The bale handle is a must. I am enjoying removing swirls that my PC had a very tough time with. A nicely engineered and built polisher.

Thejoyofdriving
12-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I would take my flex over the PC ANY day

Detail_Guy
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Maybe I was so used to the weight of the rotory and so excited about the Flex I did not realize it's weight. I do not own a PC,and I do not use my friends enought to really remember. So I just pulled out the rotory and the Flex to compare the weight differences. My Chicago rotory weighs 5lbs. My Flex weighs 6 lbs. There is a weight difference of 1 pound. I do not know what any of the well known rotories weigh.
I have a felling it's more than the Flex. IMO it's not the weight,it's the mechanics of the machine that makes the difference. I can hold the Flex with one hand & buff and not worry about damage to the finish.The thumb speed ajustment is right there. You can put the speed dial at 6 (the highest) and start the machine slow and run it at any of the other speeds by using the trigger in the handle . I think the 1 pound makes it easier to control,the bale handle assist especially when in the verticle position on side panels. This machine has taken my business to a new and exciting level! Thanks AG and all who helped steer me to the FLEX!

The Flex weighs less than most electric rotaries. I believe my Makita is around 6 1/2 lbs, and my Milwaukee is around 8 pounds.

I've only used my son's Flex twice. However, I can tell that it's a tad heavier than the PC, but feels better balanced, and easier to handle, as the weight is distributed over a slightly longer span.

ZoranC
12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I would take my flex over the PC ANY day
You are welcome.

Thejoyofdriving
12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
You are welcome.

:awesome:

ZoranC
12-22-2007, 03:05 AM
:awesome:
You had concerns over "white finger syndrome" when it comes to any polisher. Do you feel Flex satisfies your requirements in that regard?

Thejoyofdriving
12-22-2007, 03:10 AM
You had concerns over "white finger syndrome" when it comes to any polisher. Do you feel Flex satisfies your requirements in that regard?

Well after running 6 or 7 hours with the Rigid I found it difficult to use my hands, and they always felt like they were vibrating, even when i wasnt using the machine. I do not recall having such feelings with the Flex, my hands may have felt a little funny for a while but way way better than any other machine. I have to say it is THE smoothest machine i have ever worked with, and ive tried a few, Rigid, PC, Griots Garage polisher and Festool.

ZoranC
12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Well after running 6 or 7 hours with the Rigid I found it difficult to use my hands, and they always felt like they were vibrating, even when i wasnt using the machine. I do not recall having such feelings with the Flex, my hands may have felt a little funny for a while but way way better than any other machine. I have to say it is THE smoothest machine i have ever worked with, and ive tried a few, Rigid, PC, Griots Garage polisher and Festool.
Hmmm, that is interesting to hear as me and few others have felt Ridgid is smoother (vibrated less for us) than any of these.

Thejoyofdriving
12-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, that is interesting to hear as me and few others have felt Ridgid is smoother (vibrated less for us) than any of these.

For me the rigid put out lots of sharp quick vibrations. I was using the 6.5 LC pads

ZoranC
12-26-2007, 12:09 AM
For me the rigid put out lots of sharp quick vibrations. I was using the 6.5 LC pads
On 1/8" or 1/4" setting? How Festool in non-forced mode felt for you at full speed?

Thejoyofdriving
12-27-2007, 04:17 AM
On 1/8" or 1/4" setting? How Festool in non-forced mode felt for you at full speed?

1/4, i would say that the festool was smoother than the Rigid. In forced mode i find the flex much easier to control than the festool:buffing:

ZoranC
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
1/4, i would say that the festool was smoother than the Rigid. In forced mode i find the flex much easier to control than the festool
I concurr on Flex being easier to control in forced mode than Festool (or 1250DEVS or BO6040 for that matter). IIRC if you search for my posts (don't remember on which board) you will find my complaints on "vertical" designs that "want to get from under you" and my liking that Flex is "horizontal design" (plus bail handle and longer handle help).

Yes, Festool in pure random mode is smoother than Ridgid in 1/4" mode, but not by huge margin IMHE, plus in 1/8" mode I find Ridgid smoother than even Festool. I still haven't experienced what you are describing as sharp quick vibrations with Ridgid, I will keep "looking" for them. In the end it might be as simple as fact that no two bodies are identical, that what irritates one person does not irritate other, or even simpler, that one you picked up was not as good out of the box as one I picked up. Personally I like my Ridgid as much as I like my Flex, if not more.