PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt E60

PTJD
12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Hello, my first post and my first try at polishing my car.
I had been reading this and other forums and had ordered some products and had to wait till the weather got a little more tolerable. Well it was a good day yesterday so I gave it a shot.
Now you have to understand prior to this; waxing my car every 2 years was a unusual event, just taking it to the wash was the norm!

I first washed the whole car with Dawn and MF Mitts (2 buckets).

Clayed the whole car (mothers), this was the first time for me to clay and have to say it was not that difficult and the results were great.

Washed again.

Polished with 106FF.

Hand polished with Z2.

Sealed with Wolfgang sealant.

Finished with Z8. Only did one coat of each.

Thoughts: Go buy a REAL R/O buffer!!!! I used an old Sears 10" R/O with MF mesh and my arms are about to fall off today and I couldn' get into some areas and it just did an OK job!
I should have started with a little more aggressive polish, the 106 took out most micro swirls but the ones I wanted out were still left, in fact now that the car is polished the larger scratches seem to show-up more.

OK so I will be tackling my wifes X5 next but will not start till I have the Griots,UDM or PC in hand!
Having said all this I did like how it turned out,the car never looked so good and the paint felt like polished glass!

What would you all recommend for the initial polish? You think 85rd is aggressive enough? Should I go on and wax the car also? Can/Should I overlap sealant with the Z8(multiple coats)? Any other suggestions welcome.

budman3
12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the site, it looks like you are off to a great start. When you get your new machine, you can use a light cut pad with the 106ff to remove any remaing marks. It may take 1 -2 times but it should be strong enough. The 85RD is actually less aggressive than the 106ff. Good luck!