PDA

View Full Version : A Great- but DUMB Question

cheakster
12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey guys!
I'm reading, experimenting , learning- and buying :rolleyes:
I understand the Corvette has a very hard clearcote. Why, then, can I lick my finger, wipe off a small water spot, and put a serious swirl/ mark on the surface???
Am I actually seeing a mark in the LSP, or have I actually scratched the clearcote? I know this is a fundamental, but important question for a newby.
Thanks
Dan

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I know what you are talking about, i just look at my black 05 in the garage and it scratches. it has hard clear but is very easy to scratch and then it is a pain to get back out. Just something you are going to have to deal with.

ScottB
12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
this is the question for which there is no answer ... we are all still contemplating this too !

lethalxls1
12-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Water spots are mineral deposits so when you lick your finger and rub a water spot you are actually rubbing minerals that have a grit like consistency(although very hard to feel or see) into the clear. Thats why it causes swirls IMO.

TOGWT
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
The only DUMB question is the one that is never asked-

Hardness: Hardness[/SIZE] (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Hardness) is defined as the ability of a material to resist local deformation (or penetration) from externally applied pressure, and is directly related to its tensile strength; stronger materials are generally harder. The enamel paint finishes on vehicles from the 50’s and 60’s era were as tough as porcelain. But rightly due to environmental concerns, those high percentage petroleum based paints have been generally superseded, resulting in the softer water-based paint finishes of today and the unavoidable orange-peel seen on many new and re-painted vehicles.

Today’s paints, unfortunately, rank somewhere near the bottom of the scale of hardness, especially single coat black / red paint the exception being white single stage and Ceramiclear, when compared to all the materials your paint can possibly come in contact with (always bear that in mind).

[I] An adaptation of that hardness scale;Talc =1 Carbon Black [black paint pigmentation] = 2, Glass = 6, Titanium dioxide [white paint pigmentation] = 7, Diamond =10
(See also Mohs Hardness Scale, Clear Coats, Ceramiclear)

Hard and soft are relative terms; you can scratch the hard surface of a vehicles paint with a soft towel by the application of enough pressure. Both pressure and mechanical stress are defined as force per unit area. These two forces are the subject of Newton's third law of motion; the law of reciprocal actions (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Newton's_laws_of_motion) [To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction]

A force acts through a body that has a surface area; if the surface area is really small while maintaining an equal force, the pressure becomes astronomical and the object under pressure capable of penetrating the surface of an otherwise tough material. That’s why a micro fine thread in an otherwise soft towel will scratch your paint and the same reason a mosquito can penetrate a rhino hide with its proboscis (stinger).