PDA

View Full Version : megs quick wax...

Pages : [1] 2

kwk1
08-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone.

I have a new Civic which I washed, clayed, and have applied Meg's Ultimate liquid wax to.
Is this good for now, or should I also put a coat of the Ultimate quick wax on?
I also purchased the quick detail for use.

Thanks for your help.

Eldorado2k
08-17-2017, 03:14 PM
That's good enough. No need to apply 2 different kinds of spray waxes. Let the 1 do it's job. If anything, apply the Ultimate Quik Wax once a week when your vehicle has just been cleaned.

kwk1
08-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Thanks Eldorado, I was hoping this was the case as I have a bad back, lol!

Eldorado2k
08-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Nevermind, I thought you had applied Ultimate Quik Wax as your base... However I still wouldn't top it with the Quik Wax, unless you want to cheapen your base layer of freshly layed Ultimate Wax. That's just my opinion but I strongly stand by it.

Don't use the Quik Wax until your base layer begins to show signs of wearing down.

kwk1
08-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Ultimate liquid wax as base. Will use quick wax after washes if Ultimate liquid wax deteriorates.
Thanks again!

Eldorado2k
08-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Yup. IME the beading with that sealant can show a noticeable drop off after 3-4 bucket washes. Once you see the beading is no longer as fierce as it once was, then it's time to top it after every wash with the spray wax. Using it as a drying aid makes it easy.

Or you could choose to re apply a layer of Ultimate Wax, but of course that's more of a chore, but it will ensure longer and nearly solid protection from contaminants bonding to your paint.

The Guz
08-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone.

I have a new Civic which I washed, clayed, and have applied Meg's Ultimate liquid wax to.
Is this good for now, or should I also put a coat of the Ultimate quick wax on?
I also purchased the quick detail for use.

Thanks for your help.

It is completely optional to do a final wipe with ultimate quik wax. Nothing wrong with doing so. Will add a little more protection and it will level any streaking that can occur with ultimate wax.

If you have ultimate quik detailer then same philosophy. Completely optional. It won't leave as much protection as UQW.

Eldorado2k
08-17-2017, 04:54 PM
It is completely optional to do a final wipe with ultimate quik wax. Nothing wrong with doing so. Will add a little more protection and it will level any streaking that can occur with ultimate wax.

If you have ultimate quik detailer then same philosophy. Completely optional. It won't leave as much protection as UQW.

I respectfully disagree... I'm sure you remember when I asked Mike Pennington about topping Megs Paint Protect after the 2nd bucket wash.. I asked him if using Ultimate Quik Wax would boost Paint Protects protection, or if it would turn into a Ultimate Quik Wax finish? His reply? "You'd probably be better off leaving it alone"

His answer confirmed what I already knew for myself based on testing the products and seeing the results. You cannot layer different sealants. It gets back to the whole "solvents in the sealant" removing the previous layer. That's why no one has 17 layers of sealant on their car... If they did, they'd never have to clay because their paint would be protected better than Teflon.

Ultimate Quik Wax is a stand alone sealant, not a topper. Not anywhere on it's label does it hint at it being a topper. Use it over a strong layer of sealant and you'll begin to immediately replace your stronger layer with the weaker layer of the spray wax. Boosting is a myth.

The Guz
08-17-2017, 05:03 PM
I respectfully disagree... I'm sure you remember when I asked Mike Pennington about topping Megs Paint Protect after the 2nd bucket wash.. I asked him if using Ultimate Quik Wax would boost Paint Protects protection, or if it would turn into a Ultimate Quik Wax finish? His reply? "You'd probably be better off leaving it alone"

His answer confirmed what I already knew for myself based on testing the products and seeing the results. You cannot layer different sealants. It gets back to the whole "solvents in the sealant" removing the previous layer. That's why no one has 17 layers of sealant on their car... If they did, they'd never have to clay because their paint would be protected better than Teflon.

Ultimate Quik Wax is a stand alone sealant, not a topper. Not anywhere on it's label does it hint at it being a topper. Use it over a strong layer of sealant and you'll begin to immediately replace your stronger layer with the weaker layer of the spray wax. Boosting is a myth.

We agree to disagree. I'm leaving it at that.

The op has the option to do either one. There is no wrong approach.

986DTM
08-17-2017, 05:35 PM

We'd have to know exactly what solvents are in UQW/D156 and their concentration to say this for sure. Assuming it does have some sort of solvent, does each application diminish the layer of ULW by 5%? 20%? 80%? What does it leave behind in relation to what it is taking off? etc

All I know is that I use D156 after just about every wash and my car always looks great and beads well the next time I clean it. Thats good enough for me.

kwk1
08-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'll see how long this ULW lasts. If not very long, I'll try a layer of UQW and see how that is.

pickles
08-17-2017, 11:15 PM
The "ultimate" products are synthetic sealants while the "Gold class" products are their carnauba products. I personally prefer the Ultimate line. Megs Ultimate QD is one of the best products to put on while you dry. Very hydrophobic

Eldorado2k
08-18-2017, 01:11 AM
We'd have to know exactly what solvents are in UQW/D156 and their concentration to say this for sure. Assuming it does have some sort of solvent, does each application diminish the layer of ULW by 5%? 20%? 80%? What does it leave behind in relation to what it is taking off? etc

People often talk about spray wax serving as a sacrificial layer over the base layer of sealant... But I'd like to know: Has anyone ever witnessed that sacrificial layer of spray wax go weak in the form of diminished beading, only to give way to the more ferocious beading that lays underneath from the "protected" base layer of sealant that had been shielded by the layer of spray wax? I sure in the heck have never seen anything like that happen on my paint... And I've never heard anyone talk about seeing it happen on theirs.

But if "layering" is truly possible [which I don't think it is in regards to sealants] wouldn't seeing that exact thing happen be very common amongst alot of people on this forum?

If not, then where did that once fierce base layer go? It got rubbed away when all that topping was taking place, that's where it went.. Away and replaced by the topper.

Eldorado2k
08-18-2017, 01:18 AM
All I know is that I use D156 after just about every wash and my car always looks great and beads well the next time I clean it. Thats good enough for me.

That's cool, and don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing D156 at all. I think it's a great product, especially when used as a stand alone lsp for certain vehicles/situations. Works great as a drying aid too.

But for times when I've already got something going on the paint, I just prefer not to mess with it and introduce other lsp's into the mix, because IME they change all the characteristics into the last applied product, and sometimes that doesn't turn out for the better.

986DTM
08-18-2017, 10:03 AM
People often talk about spray wax serving as a sacrificial layer over the base layer of sealant... But I'd like to know: Has anyone ever witnessed that sacrificial layer of spray wax go weak in the form of diminished beading, only to give way to the more ferocious beading that lays underneath from the "protected" base layer of sealant that had been shielded by the layer of spray wax? I sure in the heck have never seen anything like that happen on my paint... And I've never heard anyone talk about seeing it happen on theirs.

But if "layering" is truly possible [which I don't think it is in regards to sealants] wouldn't seeing that exact thing happen be very common amongst alot of people on this forum?

If not, then where did that once fierce base layer go? It got rubbed away when all that topping was taking place, that's where it went.. Away and replaced by the topper.

I see what you're saying. Personally, my car is always garaged and rarely driven in the rain so I never see the limits of an LSP or "topper" to notice something like that. It really depends on a lot of things. By the time D156 (or similar) wears off would the beading of the initial LSP be diminishing by that point anyways? Did you apply the topper right away, or a month or two later when you notice your LSP isn't beading so well to begin with?

I 100% see what you're getting at but I'd like to see some sort of test done before I would feel confident taking one side versus another. Just a straight up longevity test of maybe ULW on its own, ULW topped right away, and ULW topped after the first or second wash. Problem is most people (like myself) top all the time so its hard to assess the effect on the initial LSP.