PDA

View Full Version : Can a waterless wash with wax be used before claying and polishing?

Pages : [1] 2

SwedishRider
08-17-2017, 05:15 AM
I'm trying to research the use of waterless washes and their use before claying and polishing. I have not been able to find consistent info through my travels online. Most (if not all) of the waterless washes I have seen have some form of wax left behind after their use. If only a speedy wash and wax is the goal, obviously there is no problem. But can a waterless wash with wax be used before claying and polishing if rinseless or traditional washes are not available as options?

In particular, I'm looking to do the following in order:

Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax Anywhere: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, waterless wash (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-wash-wax-anywhere.html)
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit: Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, meguiars detailing clay, (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-smooth-surface-clay-kit.html)
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound: Meguiars Ultimate Compound, polishing compound, rubbing compound, meguiars rubbing compound, meguires, meguiars polish, auto compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html)
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish: Meguiars Ultimate Polish, meguiars car polish, meguiars polishes, mcguire's (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-polish.html)
Meguiar's Ultimate Wax: Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, polymer wax, best car wax, Ultimate Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wax.html)

I would be using the UC, UP, and UW with DA Polisher (assuming access to electricity, otherwise use foam applicators by hand). I realize that a traditional 2BM wash is the preferable choice, but would this work when water is just not an option?

SwedishRider
08-17-2017, 05:33 AM
As a follow-up thought, would an IPA wipedown after the waterless wash solve this problem? Or would it be no problem to go from the waterless wash straight into the claying and then polishing?

Paul A.
08-17-2017, 07:41 AM
I can't think of any serious problems with your approach, Swedishrider. I was wondering in my mind if the wax component of the wash might leave anything behind that might inhibit the clay's ability to remove surface contaminants but don't think so. Clay will be removing wax along with debris but that's fine. If anything I would think you may (MAY) get a little less marring from the clay.

If you have the time, maybe do a test spot...one without an alcohol wipe prior to claying and then one with. I doubt you'll see any difference and if so, save yourself the time in doing the iso alcohol wipes.

Additionally, any wash and wax residual LSP component will be gone after claying or at least almost gone. Once you hit it with UC anything left will be removed. I don't believe anything used as a "wash and wax" product will inhibit any machining steps used after, especially after claying.

RPPM
08-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Both Poorboys and Griots make a waterless wash that is just a wash, might want to look at either of those brands.

oneheadlite
08-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Both Poorboys and Griots make a waterless wash that is just a wash, might want to look at either of those brands.

In the Q&A on the Griot's website, they mention their Spray On Car Wash has a little bit of carnauba in it. They also recommended against using it as a clay lube (not sure why - I have & like the Spray on wash and it seems plenty slippery to me?), and instead suggest Speed Shine. Their new Rinseless Wash and Wax (I think my current favorite rinseless) can be used as a clay/synthetic clay lube, though it also has wax in it.

That being said, as PaulA mentioned - I don't think there'd be any negative to using a Waterless wash with wax/protection as long as it's got a dilution ratio OK'd for use as a clay lube. If you really wanted a wax free lube/rinseless/waterless product, you could go with McKee's N-914 - seems to get a lot of praise and leaves nothing behind.

Paul A.
08-17-2017, 01:44 PM
I think he meant if he used the wash n wax product to wash first. I'm guessing he is using the Meg's QD stuff that comes with their clay kit as lube for the clay. Correct me if I'm wrong here, Swedishrider...

SwedishRider
08-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Paul, you are correct. My intent is to use a waterless wash and then clay using the included quick detail spray in the Meguiar's claying kit. My main concern is the wax in the Meguiar's Waterless Wash & Wax. I was not aware that the McKee's N-914 diluted to a waterless wash did not include wax or silicone in the formula, which I would think is more attractive as a waterless wash before claying and polishing, particularly if a compound is not being used.

I'll experiment a bit with the Meguiar's WW&W, and maybe buy a bottle of the N-914. Nobody seems to think it's a major issue to use a WW with wax before a clay/polish, so I'll give it a try and compare it to the N-914 and report back.

oneheadlite
08-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Ooop - Good catch; mis-processed the OP.

In that case I'd think it'd be no problem at all as I'd figure the clay would abrade through the wax? Wouldn't think the wax in wash and wax would be that tough as to survive the decontamination process.

SwedishRider
08-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Ooop - Good catch; mis-processed the OP.

In that case I'd think it'd be no problem at all as I'd figure the clay would abrade through the wax? Wouldn't think the wax in wash and wax would be that tough as to survive the decontamination process.

Would it gum up the clay maybe? Or if I were to just need to WW, then Clay, Then UP (without UC first), then UW, would the initial wax pose an issue without using full compound?

Just thinking out loud... I've never done this, so I'm trying to avoid issues if someone knows if this is problematic. And I really appreciate the help and advice from everyone, thank you!

oneheadlite
08-17-2017, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't think it would gum up the clay. It seems like enough rinseless washes that have various forms of protection in the formula include a dilution ratio for use as a clay lube that it shouldn't interfere.

I thought any form of polish or compound would cut through whatever the last LSP was (sealant/wax/etc), so I would definitely try your test spot with just the polish first.

Keep us updated on how it goes!

WRAPT C5Z06
08-17-2017, 02:35 PM
You could, but I'd advise against it. The polish would cut right through it, but you'd be asking it to remove any protection at the same time as removing defects. Much better to polish bare paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dredogol
08-17-2017, 07:11 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with using a wash and wax... I do it all the time.

Look at Meguiars D115 / Wolfgang Uber Rinseless / Optimum Wash and Wax... they can all be used as clay lube.

Great products to keep in your stock... waterless / rinseless / clay lube / quick detailer all in one products. :)

SwedishRider
08-17-2017, 07:29 PM
I took another look at the Meguiar's website, and they list their Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax Anywhere as a product that fits step 1 (wash) of their 5-step paint care system. Given that their 5 steps are as follows, each of the products I plan to use are listed in one of those steps:

1) Washing: Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax Anywhere
2) Clean/Prep: Clay Kit/Ultimate Compound
3) Polish: Ultimate Polish
4) Protect: Ultimate Wax
5) Maintain: Ultimate Quik Detailer

I'll have to trust that Meguiar's has developed this as a matched system, and that if they recommend a product for a step, that it should work well for that step. I'll give it a go and report back how it worked.

Jimmy Vegas
08-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Look at Meguiars D115 / Wolfgang Uber Rinseless / Optimum Wash and Wax... they can all be used as clay lube.

This is what I was thinking. If the car isn't dirty enough to warrant a two bucket wash, I'll use Wolfgang Uber as a Waterless prior to claying. (Once I run out of Mother's Detail Spray and Glide, I'll be mixing a bottle to use as clay lube.

Jimmy Vegas
08-17-2017, 08:23 PM

This is what I was thinking. If the car isn't dirty enough to warrant a two bucket wash, I'll use Wolfgang Uber as a Waterless prior to claying. (Once I run out of Mother's Detail Spray and Glide, I'll be mixing a bottle to use as clay lube.)