PDA

View Full Version : Making a difficult color pop question

YankeeFan
08-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Polishing certain colors like a black or a pearl blue seems to give payback in terms of getting good reflection, using power lock and Wolfgang Fuzion to have it shine bright. But how 'bout a color like Honda's Urban Titanium Metallic? I can get good reflection but just can't get that wet look. As we all stood at the car, taking a 3/4 view, its just there.....blah. Am I doing something wrong, other product(s) to use, etc.? Polished with FG400 with rotary, than 3500 with Flex DA.

Thanks,
Howard

custmsprty
08-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Menz 3-n-1 topped with Fuzion

Wet as can be...............

Eldorado2k
08-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Some colors such as the many variations of silver just sorta suck. Lol. I'm sorry but that's the truth.

I polished this Kia a couple of weeks ago and ended up using 3 different polishes around the vehicle and not 1 of them made a noticeable difference as far as wow factor. Kinda frustrating dealing with these sort of silver colored vehicles...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/e7cdd5b4afd8a51f1a3b755884016234.jpg

Eldorado2k
08-16-2017, 11:44 AM
At least white can literally "clean" or "brighten up"... Most of the time these metalic silver vehicles do absolutely nothing.

YankeeFan
08-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Some colors such as the many variations of silver just sorta suck. Lol. I'm sorry but that's the truth.

I polished this Kia a couple of weeks ago and ended up using 3 different polishes around the vehicle and not 1 of them made a noticeable difference as far as wow factor. Kinda frustrating dealing with these sort of silver colored vehicles...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/e7cdd5b4afd8a51f1a3b755884016234.jpg

Yep, this is exactly what I am getting............bummer!

Eldorado2k
08-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Yep, this is exactly what I am getting............bummer!

I detailed that whole car and didn't even bother polishing the hood... That's how much of a non factor the polishing was doing. Lol.

osiapstndp
08-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Oftentimes it's possible to experience a "deeper" appearance on lightly colored paintwork by introducing darker elements around the subject. Take a look at a white or silver hood of a vehicle that is in an open garage at noon and depth can be more easily discerned - the physical properties of the surface don't change of course, but if the surface is lit by strong ambient light and the surrounding area is darker than the paint color then it will show pronounced reflections. Lighter elements around dark paintwork help to cause a similar effect.

Here's the hood of a white Scat Pack.

Here's the passenger side.

When you see the Challenger in direct light it just looks white - nothing fancy at all. However, if you catch the car in shadow, and at the right angle, it sure looks nice. :)

PaulMys
08-16-2017, 06:11 PM
I find this to be the case with my light-medium grey metallic paint. It shines like crazy, but I don't think it can ever produce that "perfect mirror" like reflection.

I'm ok with it though, because you need a detective to locate swirls in the paint whereas you can see swirls in darker paint from 30 feet away.