PDA

View Full Version : FG 400 Question

YankeeFan
08-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Had difficulty finding a clear answer to this when doing a search. For a soft Honda Civic clear coat what pad should I use to hopefully do this in one step?

Thanks,
Howard

jkrig
08-16-2017, 11:08 AM
How bad is the paint/clear.....because the paint is soft you could maybe use something with less cut that could maybe finish down better, but again that would depend on how bad the finish is......do a test spot, rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive product that will get you the best results....

custmsprty
08-16-2017, 11:34 AM
As noted above, always do a test spot and start with least aggressive approach. That applies both pad and product.

YankeeFan
08-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Okay, so the normal process.....thanks!

Rsurfer
08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Okay, so the normal process.....thanks!

What color is your car? If it's a dark color, you won't be able to do a one step. It will leave a slight haze and you will need to finish down with a polish like 3800.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
No chance with any pad and FG400 on soft paint, unless you don't mind haze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeFan
08-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help, will prepare for 2 steps this weekend.

custmsprty
08-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the help, will prepare for 2 steps this weekend.

Why not do a test spot with a lighter polish first with a white pad and an orange pad and assess the results? You may find you don't need to even use FG400 or do the extra work of a two step.

Desertnate
08-17-2017, 07:50 AM
Why not do a test spot with a lighter polish first with a white pad and an orange pad and assess the results? You may find you don't need to even use FG400 or do the extra work of a two step.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you already have a lighter polish and less aggressive pads, go with that first. You may never need the compound. Just because you have a compound, especially a very aggressive one like 400, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Spare your clear coat the unnecessary wear.

I own a Toyota with soft paint and despite years of daily use and a few dealer washes that were not so gentle, I've never once had to compound that vehicle. The paint is soft enough a finishing polish and a polishing pad (Meguiars UP and a white LC flat pad) is all I've ever needed to remove any swirls. I have some compound on hand should I ever have a very bad spot that might need it, but to date I've not once had to use it on that car.

YankeeFan
08-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Thanks.........I will try this

WRAPT C5Z06
08-17-2017, 12:22 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. If you already have a lighter polish and less aggressive pads, go with that first. You may never need the compound. Just because you have a compound, especially a very aggressive one like 400, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Spare your clear coat the unnecessary wear.

I own a Toyota with soft paint and despite years of daily use and a few dealer washes that were not so gentle, I've never once had to compound that vehicle. The paint is soft enough a finishing polish and a polishing pad (Meguiars UP and a white LC flat pad) is all I've ever needed to remove any swirls. I have some compound on hand should I ever have a very bad spot that might need it, but to date I've not once had to use it on that car.
What color is your Toyota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
08-17-2017, 01:04 PM
What color is your Toyota?

It's called Sizzling Crimson Mica. A terrible name for a really nice looking dark metallic red/maroon. The vehicle is a 2014 Highlander.