PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner vs. APC

Pages : [1] 2

RippyD
08-15-2017, 08:49 PM
I just got 4 very used OEM wheels for winter tires. These are 10 spoke aluminum wheels with paint and clear on the front and paint on the back of the spokes and barrels. The barrels appear to have never been cleaned. Seemed like a good chance to do a quick test with what I had on hand: Griots Heavy Duty wheel cleaner, Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner, DG Orange cleaner, Opt Power Clean, and DG APC.

The short story is that APC at 1:1 cleaned off the wheel grime far better than anything else. The orange cleaner got some spots that had grease. But overall the APC was dramatically more effective at cleaning these than either wheel cleaner.

Wish I had more pics but didn't get them - was moving quickly.

http://i.imgur.com/0fe6zQ2l.jpg

PaulMys
08-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Since they are free & clear of the tire and vehicle, did you try pressure washing?

RippyD
08-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Did not. Tried that once on a painted Land Rover wheel and got a paint chip. That may have been a fluke, or paint that was already about to come off, but it scared the crap out of me. Likely would have been fine in the barrels.

Eldorado2k
08-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Where's the after pic?

RippyD
08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I can post some after pics later today. I didn't bother because there's not a lot to see. The barrels seem to have primer on them - sort of a mint green color. The faces have silver paint with clear coat over them.

After getting the grime off the barrels and back of the spokes still look pretty bad. Some scratching, a lot of tar, and other stuff that I'll need to polish off. Next step is to de-tar them, then, clay, polish. Will post some pics along the way, but first some after wash pics later today.

Eldorado2k
08-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Use a Magic Eraser w/diluted APC as lube to get rid of that tar etc. It works way better and faster than anything else, trust me.

RippyD
08-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Here's what they looked like after I cleaned them. Notice that blob of tar at 2:00.

http://i.imgur.com/SPLmmGEl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6fpQdICl.jpg

Here is what they really looked like after cleaning. I initially thought that was tar. Now not sure. Tar + road grime + pitted paint?

http://i.imgur.com/uE65y0Cl.jpg

Since i thought it was tar only I tried to use tar removers. See that slightly cleaner area in the middle? That's after I tried every cleaner I had (bug remover, mineral spirits, 3M adhesive remover, gasoline, APC + magic eraser, and a few others). This stuff wasn't budging. I also tried clay and a compound by hand. Neither made any visible progress.

http://i.imgur.com/KFWq8Gcl.jpg

Decided I had nothing to lose by sanding. This is the sludge that came off. I had to sand for a while and clogged a lot of paper before I got down to the paint. Sanding with bug remover helped keep the paper working. I switched to 1000 rather than 1500 in this pic. I then followed with 2000 after I thought the grime was gone.

http://i.imgur.com/9pL6Wkcl.jpg

Here's how it looked after I was done sanding (or so I thought). The shine you're seeing is from water.

http://i.imgur.com/d45KG4Ml.jpg

Notice that there's still some grime toward the middle of the barrel. So I'm not done with this one.

http://i.imgur.com/RTEGSESl.jpg

Use a Magic Eraser w/diluted APC as lube to get rid of that tar etc. It works way better and faster than anything else, trust me.
It worked ok. On these wheels nothing worked well. The 3M stuff did the best. Next to that, DG bug cleaner with a magic eraser.

These things are going take far too long to clean to the point that I can coat them. A small orbital or DA with sandpaper would be handy. I could probably get most of the barrel with my GG6. Need something else for the smaller areas.

And I'm now thinking... I could have bought repainted wheels for $40 more per wheel. Those are looking like a good deal right now... maybe need to do that and put these on CL. Maybe I polish the faces and leave the barrels as-is since they're very visible on the truck? Need to sleep on it.

EDIT: Another option is to plasti-dip these black or anthracite (dark grey). Would likely look good on the white LR3 and I've read it's fairly easy to remove.

Eldorado2k
08-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the highly detailed update. Your posts get thumbs up from me.[emoji1417]
Wish more people would provide this sort of detailed info/conclusions.

oneheadlite
08-17-2017, 06:58 AM
And I'm now thinking... I could have bought repainted wheels for $40 more per wheel. Those are looking like a good deal right now... maybe need to do that and put these on CL. Maybe I polish the faces and leave the barrels as-is since they're very visible on the truck? Need to sleep on it.

EDIT: Another option is to plasti-dip these black or anthracite (dark grey). Would likely look good on the white LR3 and I've read it's fairly easy to remove.

Thanks for sharing everything you've tried! Like Eldorado2k said - very cool of you to document what you've tried and how it worked, especially for something less extravagant than usual write ups. One heck of a before and after though!

I had to chime in on the repainted wheels part - having seen a lot of refinished wheels, be careful- the quality of the paint/work varies wildly. It's not uncommon to see them where the clear coat or even paint flakes off or has runs/etc. While the parking lot refinish trailers seem to be the worst, I've seen poor results from the companies where they dismount the tire and do the full process as well.

Best results I've seen have been when people send them out to get powdercoated. For plasti-dip, I've heard preparation is key (not that you'd struggle with that part!) to be able to remove the stuff at a later date. Don't expect plasti-dip to survive a tire change, even with modern equipment.

Just my 2¢

RippyD
08-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Good tip on the plasti-dip and on repainted rims. Having a bad re-paint would be worse than what I have now. Given that, I think it's time to either order some matching rim paint or look at plasti-dip after I get tires.

And thanks to you and Eldorado for the kudos. Just trying to give give back a little. So many guys here do great write ups. I learn a little more every time I come here.

Desertnate
08-17-2017, 08:10 AM
I almost hate to ask, but if the barrels were that bad, what did the front of the wheels look like? In all fairness, those wheels look like they'd be really hard to clean even if you had a good set of brushes.

RippyD
08-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Will get some pics of the front. Some scratches but largely in pretty good shape on the front. Some curb rash on the lip of the rims I'l need to grind off.

I tried one more thing: scotch brite pad + carburetor cleaner. It takes car of that tar really quickly, but is very hard on the paint. Too much scrubbing will go through paint quickly and it leaves them looking terrible - they'll need to be sanded and polished. So it's faster for sure, but can be more damaging. Carb cleaner is very volatile so the working time is short. So you have to get the sludge off quickly. And I inhaled more VOCs than I would like.

Rsurfer
08-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Will get some pics of the front. Some scratches but largely in pretty good shape on the front. Some curb rash on the lip of the rims I'l need to grind off.

I tried one more thing: scotch brite pad + carburetor cleaner. It takes car of that tar really quickly, but is very hard on the paint. Too much scrubbing will go through paint quickly and it leaves them looking terrible - they'll need to be sanded and polished. So it's faster for sure, but can be more damaging. Carb cleaner is very volatile so the working time is short. So you have to get the sludge off quickly. And I inhaled more VOCs than I would like.

Clean the barrels the best you can and move on. Is anyone besides you that is going to inspect the back of your wheels?:props:

RippyD
08-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Of course nobody else is going to see them that closely. My goal is to coat them. Can't do that with grime on them.

Rsurfer
08-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Of course nobody else is going to see them that closely. My goal is to coat them. Can't do that with grime on them.

In that case, use a wheel acid (Megs Wheel Brightner) to get it squeaky clean.