PDA

View Full Version : Best upgrade from a PC?

Pages : [1] 2

Chase.Barnett
08-14-2017, 12:04 PM
I have a PC 7424XP that has served me well over the last 6 or so years but I'm looking to upgrade to something new. I'm wanting something that has plenty of power to push a 6" pad and preferably reduce the amount of time needed polishing. I'm not trying to cut corners, but I can't imagine polishing my new GMC Sierra with my PC using 5" pads in this Texas heat. So far, I've been looking at the Flex 3401, Rupes and the Boss G21. Can anyone share some input or have any experience upgrading from the PC?

Kamakaz1961
08-14-2017, 12:17 PM
I have a PC 7424XP that has served me well over the last 6 or so years but I'm looking to upgrade to something new. I'm wanting something that has plenty of power to push a 6" pad and preferably reduce the amount of time needed polishing. I'm not trying to cut corners, but I can't imagine polishing my new GMC Sierra with my PC using 5" pads in this Texas heat. So far, I've been looking at the Flex 3401, Rupes and the Boss G21. Can anyone share some input or have any experience upgrading from the PC?

Either of the 3 is a huge upgrade, let's not forget the new Makita too. You can't go wrong with any of these. I got the Flex 3401 FOR ME. I felt it was the best DA FOR ME. I now use my PC7424XP as a LSP applicator or mini DA with a 1" - 4" Backing Plate.

You will get a lot of opinions of which is better and why. I say do your research and get what YOU FEEL is best. I do know for sure you will still be using your PC for various detailing duties.

Chase.Barnett
08-14-2017, 12:20 PM
The 7424 will be getting a 3" backing plate and used with smaller pads in places where the 6" pads can't be used. I've been eye-balling that Flex for a few years, what are your thoughts specifically on that machine?

Kamakaz1961
08-14-2017, 12:35 PM
The 7424 will be getting a 3" backing plate and used with smaller pads in places where the 6" pads can't be used. I've been eye-balling that Flex for a few years, what are your thoughts specifically on that machine?

IMO, it was the best thing I ever did for detailing. You will reduce your compounding/polishing time down to around 1/2 the time. On curved panels (aka Porsche 911 or Boxter); it will just keep on trucking and that is because of the FORCED Rotation. The drawbacks are walking and pulling, however, once you master the technique, there is really nothing you can't do in terms of detailing. I can now compound and polish the A pillars with no issues. This machine is a beast! It is louder than the PC (henceforth earplugs for this old man). But this thing just keeps on going. Additionally, if you have some mechanical skills, this thing is real easy to repair too. My trigger switch died on me and I just ordered the part a replaced it. My guess is because I dropped the Flex on more than one occasion. I was being stupid and kind of rough on the DA.

You can use a 6 - 6.5 Pads with ease. Bottom line, I have nothing but a great experience with the Flex 3401. Again, that is me. The other DA's you mention are also a great choice. The new Makita is also something I would look into as you can switch from Forced rotation to free float like the PC.

But again, you can't go wrong with any DA's. I was in your situation a few years back (no Boss or Makita at the time) and went with the Flex for the reason of Forced rotation. I am very glad that I did. Til this day, I feel that my DA tools are complete.

I hope my experience with the Flex helps your decision one way or another.

GOOD HUNTING!

TTQ B4U
08-14-2017, 12:37 PM
As noted, Flex 3401 and be done.

Paul A.
08-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Yup, Flex 3401 for me too! And with 6 years use of a PC you'll find yourself pretty comfortable with the Flex quickly.

Trip
08-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Recently bumped up from a PC to a Flex 3401 night and day difference. I'm just a hobbiest so it doesn't get used all the time

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dlc95
08-14-2017, 04:20 PM
I have a 3401 in my sights specifically because it can spin the large pads.

I have a rotary, but I don't always want to follow it with the PC. A 3401 can get in there and effectively knock out a beautiful one step with ease. These commercial vehicles I've been doing are no joke...

I never should have sold mine. I had no Idea I'd be doing these huge commercial trucks...

WRAPT C5Z06
08-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Flex 3401

spazzz
08-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Flex 3401.
Throw any pad on it and it keeps spinning.

Chase.Barnett
08-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Let me ask you guys this.. I went to a local shop today to see if they had either the Flex or the Rupes in stock so I could see what they were like in hand. This detail shop is also a retailer that carries Chemical Guys, Megs, CarPro, Flex, Rupes and a few other brands. They have actually become my go-to place when I can't wait for an order. He didn't have any new Rupes' of 3401's in stock but he let me hold a 3401 that he uses every now and then. He offered it me for $230, it's about two years old and he said he has done 20-30 cars total with the unit.

Would you guys save the money and feel safe getting a used one or pay full price and get a new one out of a box? I'm not the biggest fan of used items, but it looks brand new and it's a significant savings over a new one (which would help lessen my fiances desire to murder me).

dlc95
08-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Flex tools are rock solid, and have a legendary reputation for durability, and reliability. While personally I would have no issue picking up that 3401 for thay price, it's ultimately your call.

Chase.Barnett
08-14-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm going to sleep on it.. With the exception of a tiny bit of product splatter and two or three small scratches, it looked brand new. I might go pick it up tomorrow.

RippyD
08-14-2017, 07:25 PM
He offered it me for $230, it's about two years old and he said he has done 20-30 cars total with the unit.
For a 3401 in good shape that appears to have low miles I would likely take it. I would check for wear on the handles and just generally how the tool looks. Is it covered in dried compound or is does it look like it's been taken care of? Are the handles worn or do they look ok? Absolutely put on a backing plate and a pad and make sure it spins as expected and that the shaft isn't bent or there's not some other issue. I would also check the brushes - if they need replacement it's seen more use than he's telling you.

I would also ask if he will let you polish a panel on your car to try it out.

Kamakaz1961
08-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Man for $230. That SEEMS like a good deal. IMO the Flex SHOULD be OK. But the unknown gremlin factor is a possibility. But remember, there will probably be a Memorial Weekend Sale coming up and you might get a pretty good deal with some stuff if not the DA....TOUGH CALL!

But if your fiance puts on her Boyfriend Beater Shirt on and give you those I am gonna kill you look.....maybe the $230 doesn't sound so bad after all! I have had my Flex 3401 for a while and no issues other then dropping it a few times. I am a little more careful now.