PDA

View Full Version : Should you Glaze before applying Sealant?

Dredogol
08-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Okay, so I already and bought some Meguiars MG7 Glaze and Wolfgang Sealant.

However, I'm now starting to question myself if a GLAZE is worth putting on the paint if I plan on sealing the paint (non-ceramic).

I know Glazes are supposed to "fill" in cracks of the clear coat and possibly a thin layer on the top to "enhance/gloss" the paint.
However, it does not last very long.
There is where I'm doubting myself now.

Sealants are supposed to last roughly 6-12 months and is supposed to bond to clear coat.
If I lay a glaze first then a sealant... and the glaze doesn't last as long... wouldn't that mean the sealant will be removed prematurely because it is bonded to the glaze rather than the clear coat?
I figured if I buff the glaze really good, it should take off most of the product sitting on the top, while leaving the product inside the micro scratches of the clear coat.

Do you guys recommend apply any type of glaze if you plan on putting on a sealant?
Oh... this is a Daily Driver... not a show car.

DaveT435
08-10-2017, 09:14 PM
If your looking for descent durability out of the sealant I wouldn't use a glaze.

dcjredline
08-10-2017, 09:21 PM
If the first layer (glaze) won't last long then putting anything on top of it is just going to fail while being on top still. Think candy shell on top of ice cream, when icecream melts candy coating will be useless...but still yummy!