PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with my paint after the dealer painted it

Rtrick87
08-09-2017, 10:21 AM
So I was involved in a minor accident few weeks back where a tree was across the road and I hit it because there was like no visibility donto fog that rolled through in a matter of minutes. Hood, bumper, sideskirt and door got banged up. Took it to the dealer which has a collision center at the Chevy dealership and they also own the dodge dealership next door. Picked up the car yesterday right off the bat I noticed the sideskirt still had a hole in it. Manager said he 'forgot'. Then I got home the sun came out. I noticed buffer trails all over the hood, went to the store and backed into my driveway and then at this angle I see the whole entire car, which is a Dodge Durango covered in buffer trails. Upon closer inspection there's also swirl marks everywhere. And then today I go to get the sideskirt replaced, the replacement was broken and I have to go back tomorrow and when I got home... I noticed the whole hood is a big orange peel. Pretty angry to say the least. Anyone got an idea what I could do to have this to my satisfaction rather then the insurance company's satisfaction. It's an eyesore to me but ordinary people don't realize how atrocious the paint looks.

Buster906
08-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Do you have pictures of the car prior to the accident. If so, show your insurance company the condition it use to be in. Tell them you want the non orange peel condition back. Hopefully they agree

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
08-09-2017, 10:45 AM
This is what I call a

Horror Story

Sad to say - that's the norm for this industry.

:dunno:

Paul A.
08-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear that Rtrick but like Mike said, par for the course with body shop work. Holograms are relatively easy to remove and fix but orange peel is a little more involved. I would want a body shop to at least match the look of the overall orange peel with the repair.

If I remember, I think you have and use M205 and a PC? If you wanted to remove the holograms yourself I would start there with a soft pad.

I would probably try to appeal it with your insurance company if there is any recourse via them. They, and you, did NOT get what you paid for however you have accepted the work by driving it away. I would certainly want to see what they say. Maybe they can pay for a pro detailer to improve the look of everything to your satisfaction. Unlikely but worth a shot. Better yet, have the body shop pay for YOU to find a detailer. Again, unlikely but worth a try.

Another thing I and just about everyone here will say is...don't bring it back to that shop and expect them to fix it. As Mike P has often said, "what has changed" about the body shop (or detailer) that convinces you they can correct their screw up?

briarpatch
08-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Having been an insurance adjuster, and the manager of two body shops, it's unlikely the insurance company will give you any recourse other than to return to the body shop and have them resolve the problem. The purpose of insurance is to indemnify against loss, not to make sure that the shop's minimum-wage helper knows how to run a rotary buffer, or clean a wool pad with something other than the tip of a screwdriver. The shop will have to address the matter of your side skirt, but you are better off getting rid of the holograms yourself.

Paul A.
08-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Thanks briar! Good info from inside the business. Kinda what I thought anyway too.

JKDesign
08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
briarpatch

Having been an insurance adjuster, and the manager of two body shops, it's unlikely the insurance company will give you any recourse other than to return to the body shop and have them resolve the problem. The purpose of insurance is to indemnify against loss, not to make sure that the shop's minimum-wage helper knows how to run a rotary buffer, or clean a wool pad with something other than the tip of a screwdriver. The shop will have to address the matter of your side skirt, but you are better off getting rid of the holograms yourself.

^THIS!!! I have not been on the insurance side of things yet, but I worked my way from being a paint technician to a manager and this is exactly the case.

Buster906

Do you have pictures of the car prior to the accident. If so, show your insurance company the condition it use to be in. Tell them you want the non orange peel condition back. Hopefully they agree

They are not going to do anything, especially since all vehicles come from the factory with orange peel. Also, unless you are taking pictures like Mike Phillips- your photos will/did not show the orange peel.

Think about what our fellow forum members charge to do full on paint correction- the insurance company is not going to pay that- and collision shop technicians are not trained to do that kind of work.

Audios S6
08-09-2017, 02:24 PM

^^^This.

For the orange peel you can try to approach it with the insurance company as the work is not consistent with industry standards and argue that the disparity in finish will create a hardship for you when trying to sell it. You have a slight chance if the repair shop is part of the insurance preferred network and the insurance company also warranties the work. While orange peel itself is not considered a defect, the argument is that the disparity in orange peel is a defect.

With the bugger trails, you are best off fixing it yourself.

Rtrick87
08-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll get rid of the holograms myself- the orange peel is what I was hoping they would take care of but industry standards are industry standards. Sucks for me. The paint was absolutely perfect before it went in. Not one thing of orange peel at all. Just a bummer. :(

Rtrick87
08-09-2017, 07:22 PM
God, I ran to the grocery store, sun was setting just right and there was lint and these little spots that weren't condensation but kind of like it. Lint hardly comes off and then these spots which look like haze aren't going anywhere either. Suggestions? I've cleaned tons of cars from dirty people and never had a problem like this.

392hemi
08-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Sorry to hear about to your experience. I feel like everyone here has made good points.

I have noticed the body industry is rapidly slipping in regards to work. I am seeing a lot more shoddy half attempted jobs even from reputable shops. Not sure where all the good paint and repair guys are going.

JKDesign
08-10-2017, 08:02 AM
I have noticed the body industry is rapidly slipping in regards to work. I am seeing a lot more shoddy half attempted jobs even from reputable shops. Not sure where all the good paint and repair guys are going.

Because of the ever-growing involvement of the insurance companies we have all moved out of the shop, either into management roles or we have joined the dark side (gone to work for the insurance companies). For those of us like myself that have moved into management roles- it isn't any easier- we are constricted by what we can do per the insurance companies and by the current hiring pool of technicians out there (at least in my area). It is not a good time.