PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling the love this morning---Rupes P808 Sealant

TMQ
08-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Its been around 5 months or so since I last put on the Rupes P808 sealant and thought it was time to reapply fresh sealant this morning.

After the wash/dry, I applied the fresh sealant. I found it to be somewhat a bit difficult to wipe off. It felt dry and grabby. The towel was dragging and felt hard
to move the towel around. I wasn't feeling the love.

Once that was done---I let it sit for a couple of hours. It felt a bit better but still grabby. Towel was just not gliding over the paint with ease.

This got me to thinking---If the towel is sticking, then dirt will stick too.

On a whim---decided to use Optimum Car Wax for giggles. It was just sitting there on the bench close by.

Lo and Behold...feeling the love! Went on easy, wiped off even easier and it was very slick and slippy as heck!

Thoughts---Since sealant in general lasts about 6 months and the Optimum is also stated to last 6 months. Why bother with the sealant then??? Or is helpful to have both?

Just wondering.

Tom

Mike Phillips
08-08-2017, 12:28 PM
I think Optimum Car Wax is actually more of a sealant than a wax. Or a blended product.

There's a story about why Meguiar's called NXT Tech Wax a wax when it's a sealant. Myself or someone here can dig it up probably. I know the story, I was there.

Has to do with bubba-proofing a name because at a retail location you have 3-5 seconds to use the name on the label to get a customer's attention and cause them to grab your product before they grab something else.

The masses know what a wax is. A sealant can confuse the lowest common denominators among us.

Car Detailing History

:)

FUNX650
08-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Thoughts---Since sealant in general
lasts about 6 months and the Optimum
is also stated to last 6 months.

Why bother with the sealant then???
Or is helpful to have both?

•IMO:
-Being that Optimum Car Wax
contains both Carnauba Wax and