PDA

View Full Version : Best applicators!

Wolf-Strong
12-16-2007, 09:30 PM
So I have been bothered lately by what type of applicator I can use for dressings, especially tire dressing, and I believe I finally came up with a solution!!!

Simply take one of those bone shaped wash sponges (or any wash sponge) and first, cut it in 4 sections, then cut those in half. You now have 8 foam applicators about 2"x2"x3" which I find to be about the perfect size, and you won't believe the cost of this amazing tool...$1-2! I will buy another one tomorrow to take some pictures, but to say that least, I am satisfied after dressing the whole car.

6LS2
12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I just use a Meguiars Foam Applicator.. works fine

Wolf-Strong
12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I just use a Meguiars Foam Applicator.. works fine

I was using those two, and your right, they do work great. I was tired of dishing out $1/pad and worry about keeping them in the best condition. At $0.25/applicator, I just spray some cleaner on them, drop them in the bucket, and don't really have to care/worry how clean they get as I can just toss them because they are so cheap.

Tex Star Detail
12-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I use a brush for tire dressing.
Something similar to this....
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1976_25813886

D_Nyholm
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I've been using a 1.5" paintbrush to do my tires. Works great and you use MUCH LESS.

_M_
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I use a brush for tire dressing.
Something similar to this....
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1976_25813886

:Picture:

Surfer
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
For tire dressings, I use AA Extreme Gel and it comes with the best tire swipe hands down, Eagle One swipes are crappola in comparison. Its has a groove to hold the gel and spread thinly and evenly and not smear around and it absorbs just enough to make good use of product....I've had one for over a year now and its still works like new, Eagle One crap will fall apart after a couple uses lol. I've tried the spong route as well and it works good also.

For trim dressings I use the AA tire swipe since the tire gel seems to work better on trim then any other trim product I've tried, or the blue microfiber pads you can buy on here, their great as well especially for tight areas where you can use the edges.

ScottB
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Griots use to give these yellow blocks of foam with their wheel cleaner, never used them on wheels but sure work nice with wheel protectants. I do use the Pinnacle Wax Applicators in a pinch, but feel like I am breaking some rule of detailing !

Wolf-Strong
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I recently cut up a grout sponge from Home Depot (Superbilt brand) and I am nothing short of amazed by these. They work just awesome, I get 6 per sponge, and all the gunk rinses out really easily from them.

I was going to use the paint brush thing, but after using these, I see no reason to after how much I like them and how little they cost.

Tex Star Detail
01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
:Picture:

I thought a picture was there. Will put one up tomorrow. Too tired right now...:cheers: