PDA

View Full Version : PC Clay Applicator Pad?

scrape
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator (http://autogeek.net/paintwork-clay-pad-applicator.html)

thoughts and experiences?

budman3
12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
It's a good concept ... but if a grain of dirt gets on the clay, you wouldn't know it and you'd induce a lot of marring into the paint. If claying by hand you would know the dirt was on the clay and would remove it. Claying is very easy to do, I don't see the point of doing it by machine ... it won't do anything that you can do by hand.

D
12-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Claying should be done by hand.

scrape
12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
fair enough, thanks for the tips. i was just looking up for a way to speed up the process, but if there is a potential for marring then its not worth it.

rwisejr
12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I got one long ago and went back to doing it by hand.Much easier and safer as described.

conan777
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
It's a good concept ... but if a grain of dirt gets on the clay, you wouldn't know it and you'd induce a lot of marring into the paint. If claying by hand you would know the dirt was on the clay and would remove it. Claying is very easy to do, I don't see the point of doing it by machine ... it won't do anything that you can do by hand.
:iagree:

Tex Star Detail
12-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I would have to agree with the above posts. I also do not think it would save any time, but more of a time waster.
In order to knead the clay, you would have to turn the machine off, remove the clay, knead the clay, put the clay back in the pad, then use.
vs. doing it by hand, then flipping the clay, kneading the clay, or folding the clay. Also, looks like you may need to use a whole bar vs. cutting a full bar into pieces.

Again, good concept, but my opinion, I wouldn't buy/use it.

scrape
12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
alright guys thanks for the input, ill save the 20 bucks and buy something more useful

jmillican
12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I got one long ago and went back to doing it by hand.Much easier and safer as described.

I also found that the clay had a way of creeping out from the "pocket" and the next thing you know, it is on the ground. So, I went back to doing it by hand and it's much cheaper. Besides, I don't think there is any advantage in terms of results or time.

LanceM
12-16-2007, 09:40 PM
by hand is easy enough and is safer