PDA

View Full Version : 87 Chevy single stage paint

Busy mind
08-05-2017, 11:51 PM
This is more of a show than "shine". I wanted to post up my results with this beat up truck which my buddy bought at an auction. When he text me a pic of it, I literally told him it needed a paint job and not a detail. Well my curiosity got the best of me, so I took on the project to work on in between other jobs.

For whatever reason I could only upload 4 pics. If you want to see more, just send me a message.

After a good blast from my leaf blower, I used Blackfire Rinseless wash and then a synthetic clay mitt to get the party started.

After a couple test spots of Meguiars#7 and hand polishing to see what results I could get, I got the go ahead from the owner to do the whole truck.

I ended up doing 2 applications of M#7.
The paint was beat up, uneven, and most likely resprayed. Nothing was consistent.

I ended up using my FLEX 3401 with some older Buff and Shine orange pads after not getting desired results with several AIO and finishing pads.
For the polish, I actually decided to use up my very old Chemical Guys V32. This stuff finally served a purpose. The budget was low so I wasn't about to use up my Menzerna line up.
For the LSP I used BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/best-black-car-wax.html).

The goal was to bring some shine back so he could sell it to make a quick buck. Obviously you can see there's other damage and the truck is not in great shape. The hood was the worst of it all. I had to stop polishing since I was getting down to the point of no return. It started out fun, then once the rest of the truck reacted nothing like my test spots, it got a little annoying.
It ended up being a good conversation starter having it in my shop, but I was happy when I drove it back to the owner. It sat at his shop baking in the hot sun for 10 days straight. I went over there to pick up other vehicles and I didn't notice any severe oxidation.

Thank you to Mike Phillips for posting and sharing so much info on restoring single stage paint. Without his articles, I wouldn't have attempted my first single stage paint a couple years ago. I still run across slightly newer cars that had panels resprayed with SS, so it's good to have had some experience in the past.

fly07sti
08-06-2017, 01:09 AM
Good save buddy! Throw some rally's on it and would make a nice lil shop truck.