PDA

View Full Version : PC beats up 5 day old new car

Richs66
08-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Figured that title might get some attention. LOL.....Ok let me explain what happened, bought a 2017 white challenger 5 days ago, had a few issues with the front hood, small scratches, got them all out.

Today I notice a very small say pit/pimple on the trunk of the car, I figure I would clay it, didn't work, used hd polish by hand, didn't work, used UC by hand didn't work. Then scratch X by hand, didn't work.

So I used a 3inch orange pad with some hd cut, didn't do anything, so I just hit it with couple swaps with 1500 sandpaper, then a couple swipes with 5000 grit, looked good, so used the pc again, this time with hd speed with a white pad, didn't seem to clear anything up, so I switched to a orange pad, still nothing.

Just seemed to get worse looking everytime I went over it...........so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Now I did this a few years back with my other car, using a little sandpaper and it came out good, and that was just by hand, so I figure this would work...........seems I'm learning another lesson the hard way.

If anyone, pro-types live anywhere in the fox cities or Milwaukee are, pm me please, I would like someone to look at this before I go running to the body shop.

I tried that test Mike P suggested about rubbing on the spot with a cloth, I used a red one, problem is the car is white and the polish is white, so its hard to tell whats what on the rag.

Bummed out tonight, that's for sure.

Its hard to see in the pics, so I circled them..........the other is just a drawing so you get an idea on what I'm babbling about.

Rich

Richs66
08-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Oh, just to clarify, the spot I sanded was less than a 1/4 wide.............im thinking I somehow maybe hit the backing plate against, I didn't hear anything of that nature, so who knows what happened,

Rich

GSKR
08-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Very hard to remove sanding marks with a PC.Speed doesn't have enough abrasives to rid them.Bottom line you need a rotary and a compound.you can't jump from 1500 to 5000.1500 to 2000 then 2500 and so on.1500 marring with a pc will be time consuming with foam pads.It can be done with microfiber pads but still time consuming. Need a quick once over with a rotary then finish down with day.I would also get that Sharpie or marking ink off the paint as well,that itself can be a problem gd luck let us know how things turned out for you.

Richs66
08-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Thanks GSKR, there is no marking on the paint, that was from the computer showing where the problem was.

I have a hard time explaining things in print, I'm old. LOL.........the sanding mark I made was about the size of a dime, and I only hit it 2-3 times, looked good with the 1500, so I did the same with the 5000 just to make sure.

I understand you about the sandpaper, but I'm thinking now, say try 1500 again , then 2000, up to 5000.

Problem is it looks like where I hit it with the sandpaper, is good, its the ring around the center of the small circle, about 2 inches I would say.

I'm not rubbing it hard with the sandpaper, just basically touching it..............ive done this with my other car and never had this happen, although I never used a buffer on that one.

Was thinking of trying M105, they have it at wally world, but its a 32 oz..........kind of a waste, I know ill never need that again.

Once again for any pro-type guys or someone who really is pretty good at this game, give me a pm, I live in Wisconsin, hr and 1/2 from Milwaukee, Green Bay area.

Would like someone else to look at this, before I go cave man on it again.

Forgot to mention I did try HD Cut, so I'm thinking that has more abrasives than speed.

Thanks

Rich

Jeremy1976
08-06-2017, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't hit it with sandpaper again. I responded to your PM. I can help you out.

Richs66
08-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Thanks Jeremy, I"ll get you a pm back.

Rich

PaulMys
08-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Good Lord, Rich.......... What have you gotten yourself into now?? Lol

Jeremy will help you out. I've seen his work. It's incredible.

Richs66
08-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Good Lord, Rich.......... What have you gotten yourself into now?? Lol

Jeremy will help you out. I've seen his work. It's incredible.

Hey Paul, I guess I shouldn"t be left alone in the garage with beer & a PC. LOL.........im not sure what happened............I already did two cars and never had this happen.

I'm going down to Jeremy"s house on sunday..........now that service.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-08-2017, 06:29 PM
DO NOT sand anymore.