PDA

View Full Version : Best way to wash a 70's car with 6 months worth of 'garaged' dirt - waterless wash?

Pages : [1] 2

washnclean
08-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

New to detailing, and certainly an immense forum like this!

What's the best way to wash an early 1970's car? I am trying to decide if I should try a waterless wash and wax, or leave the car to effectively get even dirtier for another 6 months before I can wash it with a hose.

Basically, it has been garaged for about 12 months* (woops, actually 12 months worth of dirt, and not 6 like the title suggests), but the garage seal is not very good, so dust and dirt has covered the car.

Now, I don't have accessibility to a hose, so I can't take it out to wash it.

I've heard some good things about Meguairs Ultimate Anywhere Wash and Wax, but obviously I don't want it to scratch the paintwork.

I have also heard that leaving some dust/dirt on the car (even if garaged) can cause some oxidization/rust -- is this true?

Would you waterless wash it and then throw on a car cover? Leave it and wait another 6 months until a proper wash?

Any other suggestions?

Buster906
08-05-2017, 08:41 PM
You can go to a car wash bay and bring your two buckets. Use the pressure washer to wet your vehicle and rinse. One bucket to rinse, one for the suds. Then dry with a quality quick detailer and a waffle weave microfiber towel. Then go home and finish what needs attention

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

washnclean
08-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately the car is being stored, so that isn't an option.

Buster906
08-05-2017, 08:47 PM
A battery powered sprayer with ONR and plenty of microfiber towels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FrankS
08-05-2017, 09:05 PM
A traditional wash with hose will get water in the nooks and crannies and could be an issue with rust down the road.

Since it's been garaged for 12 months, I would go with a rinseless wash if it has heavy dust.

If it's just light dusting, then a waterless wash.

washnclean
08-05-2017, 09:34 PM
A traditional wash with hose will get water in the nooks and crannies and could be an issue with rust down the road.

Since it's been garaged for 12 months, I would go with a rinseless wash if it has heavy dust.

If it's just light dusting, then a waterless wash.

It isn't caked on mud, but it isn't the lightest of dust -- it can certainly be wiped off with a finger though.

What's the difference between a rinseless wash and waterless wash?

For rinseless wash do you mean something like ONR mix with an 8L on shoulder hand pump sprayer vs waterless being Meguairs Ultimate Anywhere Wash and Wax?

Would the paint likely be affected if it has been left garaged with some dirt/dust on it for 12 months? Is this something I should clean up asap?

FrankS
08-05-2017, 10:02 PM
It isn't caked on mud, but it isn't the lightest of dust -- it can certainly be wiped off with a finger though.

What's the difference between a rinseless wash and waterless wash?

For rinseless wash do you mean something like ONR mix with an 8L on shoulder hand pump sprayer vs waterless being Meguairs Ultimate Anywhere Wash and Wax?

Would the paint likely be affected if it has been left with some dirt/dust on it for 12 months? Is this something I should clean up asap?

Check out the video on this page for the difference between a rinseless and waterless wash:

Waterless car wash products, ecotouch waterless wash, griots waterless wash, optimum onr, automotive waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-car-wash-products.html)

ONR makes a good rinseless wash and Meguiars Ultimate Anywhere Wash and Wax is considered a waterless wash.

I don't think the dirt/dust will harm the paint but if it's left on the paint for a long time some of that may bond to the paint and it will feel rough to the touch even after washing, especially if you feel it with your hand in a plastic baggie.

There are some good articles and videos on this site and Autogeek's site about the baggie test and claying.

ledger64
08-05-2017, 10:07 PM
I have been using Mckees n-914 for rinsless and waterless washes. great stuff. i would pretreat the panel with it diluted to waterless wash strength with a spray bottle and then do a rinsless wash with it. you can use it on all surfaces, glass, trim, paint

FrankS
08-05-2017, 10:13 PM
I have been using Mckees n-914 for rinsless and waterless washes. great stuff. i would pretreat the panel with it diluted to waterless wash strength with a spray bottle and then do a rinsless wash with it. you can use it on all surfaces, glass, trim, paint

:iagree: McKee's N-914 is another great option. Can be used as a waterless or rinseless wash.

washnclean
08-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Check out the video on this page for the difference between a rinseless and waterless wash:

Waterless car wash products, ecotouch waterless wash, griots waterless wash, optimum onr, automotive waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-car-wash-products.html)

ONR makes a good rinseless wash and Meguiars Ultimate Anywhere Wash and Wax is considered a waterless wash.

I don't think the dirt/dust will harm the paint but if it's left on the paint for a long time some of that may bond to the paint and it will feel rough to the touch even after washing, especially if you feel it with your hand in a plastic baggie.

There are some good articles and videos on this site and Autogeek's site about the baggie test and claying.

Thank you for the informative link.

So you're of the opinion a rinseless wash like ONR is *better*, with less chance of scratching paint if the car is dirty? I just can't believe you can just dip into the bucket and wipe the car. My initial thoughts were the waterless wash would dissolve the dirt or something, and be easier to wipe off. But, I think the rinseless wash would be easier to use, so if that's better - I'm all for it!

If you recommend something other than ONR I'm all ears.

So the process I'm thinking of is as follows:

1. Spray on some ONR or Meguiars waterless wash first to loosen the dirt (would you bother with this step? Or recommend one over the other for this step?)
2. Fill up the recommended quantity of ONR in a bucket.
3. Use a sponge, microfibre mitt or microfibre noodle or lambs wool mitt to dip into the bucket and wipe down panel by panel using the 2 bucket method (would you recommend a particular mitt for this? I have all 4!)
4. Wipe off each panel/glass using a microfibre towel.

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be very careful with the paint, because it is an old car.

washnclean
08-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Ah, we're thinking along similar lines :) Unfortunately, I don't think Mckees will be as accessible for me as ONR...

ledger64
08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
onr will work just fine. i don't do the two bucket deal with rinseless washes though i uses 4 to 6 waffle weave towels or suitable microfiber towels in the rinseless bucket and use them to wipe with rinseless never returning them to the wash bucket

ledger64
08-05-2017, 10:41 PM
anything to not drench the car with water from a hose considering the age will be beneficial to you

FrankS
08-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Thank you for the informative link.

So you're of the opinion a rinseless wash like ONR is *better*, with less chance of scratching paint if the car is dirty? I just can't believe you can just dip into the bucket and wipe the car. My initial thoughts were the waterless wash would dissolve the dirt or something, and be easier to wipe off. But, I think the rinseless wash would be easier to use, so if that's better - I'm all for it!

If you recommend something other than ONR I'm all ears.

So the process I'm thinking of is as follows:

1. Spray on some ONR or Meguiars waterless wash first to loosen the dirt (would you bother with this step? Or recommend one over the other for this step?)
2. Fill up the recommended quantity of ONR in a bucket.
3. Use a sponge, microfibre mitt or microfibre noodle or lambs wool mitt to dip into the bucket and wipe down panel by panel using the 2 bucket method (would you recommend a particular mitt for this? I have all 4!)
4. Wipe off each panel/glass using a microfibre towel.

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be very careful with the paint, because it is an old car.

Actually a waterless wash is easiest since you spray it right out of the bottle. A lot has to do with proper technique.

You could use your Megs Wash & Wax but you need to apply it heavy or wet. Then use a good plush MF towel and fold it 4 ways. Move the towel in a straight line over a section then when that side of the towel gets dirty flip to a clean side. You'll need a lot of towels.

Here's an example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5amrxXV9Q

If you want to be uber careful with a rinseless wash you can use MF towels soaked in one bucket of rinseless wash solution. ONR is a great for that. You can pre-spray the panel also to loosen the dirt particles.

Here's a good article about that:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/103928-detailing-101-technique-tips-using-rinseless-wash-wash-your-car.html

washnclean
08-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Actually a waterless wash is easiest since you spray it right out of the bottle. A lot has to do with proper technique.

You could use your Megs Wash & Wax but you need to apply it heavy or wet. Then use a good plush MF towel and fold it 4 ways. Move the towel in a straight line over a section then when that side of the towel gets dirty flip to a clean side. You'll need a lot of towels.

Here's an example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5amrxXV9Q

If you want to be uber careful with a rinseless wash you can use MF towels soaked in one bucket of rinseless wash solution. ONR is a great for that. You can pre-spray the panel also to loosen the dirt particles.

Here's a good article about that:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/103928-detailing-101-technique-tips-using-rinseless-wash-wash-your-car.html

So, ultimately, which would be less likely to scratch the paint - a rinseless wash or waterless wash? There's more than just fine dust, but the dirt isn't caked on.

Really, I'm happy to do whatever method will with least chance of messing up and scratching the paint. I'm also happy to prespray the panels with either solution if using ONR.

If I used the meguiars waterless wash I'd be inclined to spray it on heavily, and wipe down with clean cloths one panel at a time.

I'd also consider using many MF towels soaked in rinseless wash in one bucket if that would be the best way of ensuring the least chance of stuffing up (thanks also ledger64).