PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a Polaris Slingshot: A good time to buy a 3" DA?

PurpleTowel
08-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I just booked a black 2017 Polaris Slingshot in a couple of weeks, and I was just looking at photos of the thing, and it dawned on me that it might be a good time to pick up a 3" DA. Should I convert my GG6 to a 3" stand-alone and upgrade my 5/6" DA or buy a specific 3" DA to add to my GG6? And when is Meguiar's going to put out 3" thin pads to match their beautiful 5", 6" and 7" pads? :)

Anyone ever detail a Slingshot before? How complicated is it? More like a motorcycle, I'd bet. How do you wash one of these things? I love new learning experiences, and this one should be a good one.

doug

Kamakaz1961
08-04-2017, 01:47 PM
I just booked a black 2017 Polaris Slingshot in a couple of weeks, and I was just looking at photos of the thing, and it dawned on me that it might be a good time to pick up a 3" DA. Should I convert my GG6 to a 3" stand-alone and upgrade my 5/6" DA or buy a specific 3" DA to add to my GG6? And when is Meguiar's going to put out 3" thin pads to match their beautiful 5", 6" and 7" pads? :)

Anyone ever detail a Slingshot before? How complicated is it? More like a motorcycle, I'd bet. How do you wash one of these things? I love new learning experiences, and this one should be a good one.

doug

If it were me save your money and convert your GG6 into a 3" DA. Again, the BP and pads will be less than the GG3". Additionally, the GG6 is significantly more powerful than the GG3". I had a GG3" and GAVE it away to an AGO member here locally. It has no power, very loud (even louder than a large DA), runs very hot (I thought mine was broken). I could barely get the DA to oscillate and rotate. I would just keep your GG6 and mix and match the Backing Plates and Pads and again, SAVE the money and by product for you to tackle with the Slingshot. BTW, I have no experience with the Slingshot so I could not give you any advice on that.

In your case, IMO 1 DA is all you need. No need to buy another.

VISITOR
08-04-2017, 02:12 PM
If it were me save your money and convert your GG6 into a 3" DA. Again, the BP and pads will be less than the GG3". Additionally, the GG6 is significantly more powerful than the GG3". I had a GG3" and GAVE it away to an AGO member here locally. It has no power, very loud (even louder than a large DA), runs very hot (I thought mine was broken). I could barely get the DA to oscillate and rotate. I would just keep your GG6 and mix and match the Backing Plates and Pads and again, SAVE the money and by product for you to tackle with the Slingshot. BTW, I have no experience with the Slingshot so I could not give you any advice on that.

In your case, IMO 1 DA is all you need. No need to buy another.

i disagree. the GG3 with the right pads can do some correction which might have not been the case when you had yours. IME the GG3 with the GG 3.5" FAST cutting pad works well. the GG6 with the 3" HD backing plate will be significantly more powerful but that's to be expected given it's a full size DA...

VISITOR
08-04-2017, 02:25 PM
NEW! 3.5 inch ThinPro Foam Pads! Thin is in and you're going to love these new small foam pads! (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2016-older-product-reviews-mike-phillips/103201-new-3-5-inch-thinpro-foam-pads-thin-you-re-going-love-these-new-small-foam-pads.html)

LEDetailing
08-04-2017, 02:36 PM
I'd look at a Rupes Mini as well. Look at your tools as an investment. I've been looking to get a 3in polisher too. I'm waiting to hear more about the new Flex 3 in. The Rupes has more power than the GG3. But way more $$ too. I like the idea of just buying the BP for your GG6, but I don't like changing BP.

PurpleTowel
08-04-2017, 02:44 PM
The 3" backing plate on the GG6 sounds like the path I'm going to go, and that would give me the flexibility to upgrade to a better Rupes or Flex 6" in the future. For now, I can change backing plates, and look to upgrade in the future. Maybe I'll find another GG6 on sale somewhere down the line, too.

LC Thin Pros on the Griot's 3" backing plate for the GG6, and I think I'm ready to tackle the Slingshot in a couple of weeks.

LEDetailing
08-04-2017, 03:18 PM
The 3" backing plate on the GG6 sounds like the path I'm going to go, and that would give me the flexibility to upgrade to a better Rupes or Flex 6" in the future. For now, I can change backing plates, and look to upgrade in the future. Maybe I'll find another GG6 on sale somewhere down the line, too.

LC Thin Pros on the Griot's 3" backing plate for the GG6, and I think I'm ready to tackle the Slingshot in a couple of weeks.

Definitely the most bang for your buck. I don't recall anyone posting a detail on a slingshot. I'd like to see an Ariel Atom detailed on here, almost no panels but a lot of exposed suspension.

atgonzales
08-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Purple

You like the LC thin pads, they very HIGH quality and perform very well you will not be disappointed, nicely done booking, we look forward to after shots....