PDA

View Full Version : need help with career change...

Pages : [1] 2

bpbv66
08-04-2017, 02:56 AM
Hi guys, basically, I have 3 offers for career path recently:

1. Offered a detailing position at a dealership for jaguar/landrover
-They will train me from bottom up so I know everything about paint correction, wetsanding, the works. Pay is between 14-18$ due to no experience.

Offer

2. Offered position at mobile dent repair/painter
- They will teach me from the ground up as well, someone I know trained from the same company, branched off on his own, has mobile service and has made good enough money to purchase a house for family after 1 year. He quit working for them after 6 months

3. Auto glass repair
-They need someone that can tint cars because there is only one guy there (perhaps I can improve my tinting and open my own garage)

which one is the best option here. I do not want to make the wrong decision because I am quitting something else that I don't enjoy doing, while on the other hand, I have a satisfied feeling when I work on car paint, detailing, tinting, you name it. Is detailing a good trade if I were to go do my own mobile service? there is not that many around where I am. What about dent removal, bumper, scratch repairs? My gf's father is doing very good in that trade doing mobile.

Thanks!

TTQ B4U
08-04-2017, 06:06 AM
I would do number 2. It's the best type of training whereas detailing you can learn on your own later.

Mantilgh
08-04-2017, 06:22 AM
I'd go with dent repair if he's capable of teaching you how to do it and learn/do detailing on the side if your not busy enough.

I think dent repair would be more lucrative if you can find the work and feel the average person would be more willing to shell out hundreds for your dent repair service where they may be a little less willing to do so to get their car detailed.

TTQ B4U
08-04-2017, 06:36 AM
I'd go with dent repair if he's capable of teaching you how to do it and learn/do detailing on the side if your not busy enough.

I think dent repair would be more lucrative if you can find the work and feel the average person would be more willing to shell out hundreds for your dent repair service where they may be a little less willing to do so to get their car detailed.

I have a good friend who does this and it is very lucrative. He sells "insurance" packages along with his repairs aka offers a 20-30% discount and covers either the same panel for the length of time the person owns the car. It boils down to him capturing a pre-pay on the next 1-1.5 repairs but offers the customer peace of mind. It's a good deal as if you get a ding in your door, chances are that's a common spot and it will happen again. He really gets a lot of minivan business thanks to day care centers.

GSKR
08-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Hi guys, basically, I have 3 offers for career path recently:

-They will train me from bottom up so I know everything about paint correction, wetsanding, the works. Pay is between 14-18$ due to no experience.

Offer

2. Offered position at mobile dent repair/painter
- They will teach me from the ground up as well, someone I know trained from the same company, branched off on his own, has mobile service and has made good enough money to purchase a house for family after 1 year. He quit working for them after 6 months

3. Auto glass repair
-They need someone that can tint cars because there is only one guy there (perhaps I can improve my tinting and open my own garage)

which one is the best option here. I do not want to make the wrong decision because I am quitting something else that I don't enjoy doing, while on the other hand, I have a satisfied feeling when I work on car paint, detailing, tinting, you name it. Is detailing a good trade if I were to go do my own mobile service? there is not that many around where I am. What about dent removal, bumper, scratch repairs? My gf's father is doing very good in that trade doing mobile.

Thanks!

Mobile dent repair because that opportunity deosnt come by often.After that conquer the detailing aspect.you will make more money pulling dents.

danieledwards12
08-04-2017, 07:40 AM
I do not know which you should chose, but I will be praying for you that God will give you a clear answer on which way you should go!

Hoosiers
08-04-2017, 07:41 AM
I'll toss in another vote for mobile dent repair!

JeffsRealm
08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Mobile Dent repair and hope for a hail storm ;-)

PA DETAILER
08-04-2017, 11:08 AM

:laughing: WOW. Guess it's all about demographics. The best paying jobs here barely pay that. Pepsi etc...

custmsprty
08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
another vote for #2

MattPersman
08-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Tran
08-04-2017, 02:02 PM
I have always wanted to learn PDR, but no one to teach me.

That's a great opportunity to be taught something that can compliment Detailing eventually.

One time I had a guy who wanted his Audi detailed but need dents popped first before I would buff the car.

I was nice enough to refer him to a PDR guy...

I never heard back from the Audi guy.

Maybe the PDR guy secretly does Detailing as well that I wasn't aware of and was able to under cut me.

::sad face::

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

FUNX650
08-04-2017, 03:20 PM
I do not know which you should chose,
but I will be praying for you that God
will give you a clear answer on which
way you should go!
^^^ :goodpost: ^^^

I agree with Prayer-for-Guidance.
That...along with: taking a long,
hard look at one's self in the mirror.

Bob

LEDetailing
08-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I just saw a $4800 PDR insurance claim. Two days, a ton of dents, but no bodywork. The car looked perfect outside. The hail damage was awful too.

The best detailer and glass guy would be hard pressed to make that in 40hrs. This guy did it in probably less than 14hrs. Sounds like fraud:)

Option:2

PaulMys
08-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Option 2. All day long. Not even a question.