PDA

View Full Version : 2012 M3 Carbon fiber

DaveT435
08-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Going to be working on a 2012 M3. It has a carbon fiber roof. I'm assuming it's painted. Can anyone verify that??

Sizzle Chest
08-03-2017, 09:15 PM
It could be either painted or clear coated CF. My guess is going to be the latter. It should be clear coated carbon fiber. Treat it like paint, however, just be aware that its heat transfer/holding/etc temps and how it reacts to temps will be a little different than ferrous/non-ferrous metals.

DaveT435
08-03-2017, 09:19 PM
It could be either painted or clear coated CF. My guess is going to be the latter. It should be clear coated carbon fiber. Treat it like paint, however, just be aware that its heat transfer/holding/etc temps and how it reacts to temps will be a little different than ferrous/non-ferrous metals.

Thank you. It doesn't need much work. Part of the reason I asked, a lot less swirling than the rest of the car.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-04-2017, 07:50 AM
In 2012 there was only one variant of the M3 offered with the carbon roof. That was the 2 door model without the sunroof option. If its a 2 door with sunroof, it could be vinyl wrapped. No four door that made it to the states was offered with the carbon roof whether with or without sunroof. Unless the car was sent out to IND or another high end shop to have a carbon roof installed.

With that out of the way, the factory BMW carbon roof is clear coated. I would start off with just a light polish/pad as a test spot and go from there. It shouldn't need much to correct.