PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting your work - Isolated Scratches

RWC32
08-03-2017, 07:49 PM
I am have a number of light isolated scratches on the hood on my silver 2017 Acura RDX. So taking the least aggressive approach, I decided to apply Meg's Ultimate Polish via MF applicator pad and a little elbow grease. They are much improved but not entirely removed. I am not sure if the processes is actually correcting the scratch or simply masking them due to conditioners and fillers etc.

So I was thinking, I would mix a solution of isopropyl alcohol with 50 percent water and treat the area and reinspect. I really don't what them reappearing after a few weeks of being exposed to the elements.

Questions (Sorry for the question blast)
1. Is the IPA solution mix correct?
2. Do I need to use distilled water or is tap OK?
3. Does my approach make sense?

My next steps are to pull out the PC with a 3" light cutting pad with UP, speed 6. If not satisfactory I will bump up to Megs scratch remover or UC.
Is this a good approach?

Thanks in advance. AG is a really great community and invaluable to the new newbie detailer.

Paul A.
08-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Your approach seems fine and you are on the right track with an iso alc wipe down to remove anything left behind the UP. I think you could make quicker work of minor scratch removal by powering up the DA though. Not sure how hard or soft your paint is but if you see some results with UP and a mild foam pad and want to adjust up a little more bite, use a stiffer pad. If that's still not getting it for you try the UC and a medium cut pad and go from there.

I always use distilled water to mix anything with as I don't trust my tap water but if you don't have any a one time use of tap water shouldn't present any problems. Maybe up your mix to 2:1 alc to water in the mix.

RWC32
08-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks Paul. I was doing a little digging around on IPA's and found this article. I didn't know that IPA is sold in different strengths

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html by Mike Phillips

The car is new and I am new to detailing in the modern age. So, slow but sure, I am learning the products, techniques and the characteristics of paint and other automotive materials

Thanks again.

Paul A.
08-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I just reread Mike's article you linked and that's great information. I have always followed Mike's advice and will now correct my suggestion to say try the 25% alc to 75% water mixture.

I remember that article from a few years ago but to be honest forget Mike's caution against using a "hot" mix of alc to water. Always play it safe.