PDA

View Full Version : Water spots on vehicle coated in June 2017

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LSNAutoDetailing
08-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Luckily it's my own POV, and I'm fairly frustrated. 2013 Honda Fit Sport, (soft clear...) and I did paint correction and a coating with CQUK. I made sure I did it in June because monsoon season was coming in AZ and I wanted the UV protection. The water (rain water) must have so much copper and minerals in it, my CQUK coating has water spots starting to etch.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3507/medium/IMG_23191.JPG

The vehicle sits outside (no sprinklers.... this was all caused by rain), so the thought of me polishing and reapplying a coating is fruitless as monsoons will happen every day until about September.

On a test spot I tried:
Pinnacle Black Label Surface Polish - did nothing
Megs #7 - Nothing
CarPro Re-Load - Nothing

The next step up from the products mentioned in my inventory all have some sort of abrasive, which I don't want to remove the coating... The water beading is amazing! And the coating is great at keeping dust and dirt at bay.

Frustrated to say the least in that I thought CQUK would have got me through the season somewhat unscathed. Aside from having to repolish (i.e. Polish, compound, essence, etc...) Anyone have any thoughts or ideas??? I'm open to suggestions.

Buster906
08-03-2017, 06:53 PM
I suggest you watch the YouTube video by THERAGCOMPANY. Look for the one about OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY featuring MDR or mineral deposit remover

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

supercharged75
08-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Carpro has a deposit remover as well. Reach out to Corey at Carpro and see what he recommends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Guz
08-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Do you have access to Optimum MDR or CarPro Spotless. I just used spotless on my brothers car that is coated to remove water spots from sprinklers. Worked out well after a couple applications. The water spots were on the car for a couple weeks.

I've had MDR be 50/50 on removing water spots.

Rsurfer
08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Have you tried Essence Plus..will not remove CQuartz UK.

idriveblackcars
08-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Any water spot remover will remove the coating, or at the very least cause the area to fail.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Awesome responses! Thank you.
I have to place an order for reload due to a big job coming up.

I will add spotless and essence plus to the order.

Moving to Arizona has brought challenges that I haven't had to deal with before in NH. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

FrankS
08-03-2017, 07:46 PM
If the water spots have etched into the coating then it looks like the only remedy unfortunately is to repolish and reapply the coating.

Next time try topping the coating with a sealant like Reload and it will act as a sacrificial barrier for the coating.

Either that or dry the car immediately after every rain which kind of defeats the purpose of the coating.

In my experience, coatings are just as susceptible to water spots as clear coats. There may be some that are more chemical resistant.

I've tried some of the best on the market and still susceptible to water spots if minerals are in the water/rain.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks Frank, it has both CQUK and Reload. If I have to repolish, I'll wait until fall. We just got one heck of a monsoon. 65 mph winds and about 3" of water in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

chet31
08-03-2017, 09:36 PM
If the water spots have etched into the coating then it looks like the only remedy unfortunately is to repolish and reapply the coating.

Next time try topping the coating with a sealant like Reload and it will act as a sacrificial barrier for the coating.

Either that or dry the car immediately after every rain which kind of defeats the purpose of the coating.

In my experience, coatings are just as susceptible to water spots as clear coats. There may be some that are more chemical resistant.

I've tried some of the best on the market and still susceptible to water spots if minerals are in the water/rain.

But this begs the question ...

Rsurfer
08-03-2017, 11:58 PM
But this begs the question ...

Is there any thing that can prevent water spotting?

DBAILEY
08-04-2017, 04:33 AM
Probably not, but some LSPs allow the spots to be removed easily. Sonax PNS is probably the best I have tried at preventing water spots from etching. FK1000P is another I always felt worked too.

Coatings are a pain in regards to the water spotting.

TTQ B4U
08-04-2017, 06:04 AM
CarPro Spotless works well if you attack the issue quickly. If they etch into the coating, nope, you'll need to repolish. I had this happen while my car was in for some work and they left it outside in the rain then to bake in the sun. Car went several weeks without a wash too. Had to repolish and recoat.

I've had great success with coatings not spotting using my weekly detail mist of ECH20 and Reload with distilled water. Just enough of a coating of the two to help prevent water spots I suppose.

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-04-2017, 07:55 AM
I probably wouldn't have used a product designed for cold harsh climates in Arizona in June for starters. I think Frank's advice is your best shot.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-04-2017, 09:34 AM
I probably wouldn't have used a product designed for cold harsh climates in Arizona in June for starters. I think Frank's advice is your best shot.

When it was applied, it was within the very upper temp range of the product and had lots of cure time. Nearly a month before the first rain. There were at least 4 washes after the installation and one application of reload.

Give CQUK has a higher level of SIO2 I'm thinking that any coating is susceptible to the harsh conditions of monsoons.

Hopefully the etching is in the coating,which means it's doing its job. Don't know if there's a scientific way to prove that tho...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)