PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight DA pads

Pages : [1] 2

neogenesis
08-03-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to break down shortly here and buy a DA polisher (I really need to stop reading this forum). Since I'm a weekend DIYer, I'm just going to go with the harbor freight DA. Does anyone use the pads from harbor freight? They have the 3 different ones and was just wondering what people's experience with them was.

ledger64
08-03-2017, 10:48 AM
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/110728-i-found-polisher-store-what-products-you-recomend-low-budget.html

Eldorado2k
08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
no.

Desertnate
08-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Don't do it. They are garbage and will end up costing you more money in the end.

I used them when I purchased my DA. I was lucky to get one use out of the polishing pads before they started to come apart. The waxing pads lasted 2~3 uses before falling apart. There was a point in time where I was buying new pads almost every time I was going to work on one of my vehicles.

Pads sold here like the ones from Lake Country are not only far more durable, but the foam is a much better quality as well which makes them perform better. I'm sure others here can speak to other brands of pads sold here. I've only used the Lake Country Flat Pads and Thin Pro's, but am very satisfied with them.

MattPersman
08-03-2017, 11:39 AM
LC, buff and shine, carpro, meguiars. All good pads. HF probably work ok for one time. I bought them and used them they are 6.5 inch pads so right there it hinders you and they aren't really the best cutting things in the world

On the small free spinning machines 5.5 inch pads work better than thin pads better yet. In my experience

The good pads aren't that much more expensive and really you need several and the 6 packs make it a better buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkH
08-03-2017, 11:40 AM
China made junk pads, almost no difference between the foam density in different colors. While Harbor Freight does sell Meguiar's polishes, they are at an inflated price.

dennis hiip
08-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Tried um. Fell apart with little use.

custmsprty
08-03-2017, 01:23 PM
You get what you pay for. If you are serious about truly "detailing" your vehicle invest in quality products. They save you money in the long run. Get a GG6 Polisher, skip the HF.

Trip
08-03-2017, 01:36 PM
PC and Buff N Shine 5.5 pads would be a great start. I have numerous buddies who I have turned to this route over HF products

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dlc95
08-03-2017, 01:55 PM
I have some that I've relegated to industrial work trucks, and commercial vehicles.

The orange and blue are closed cell foam. Because of this they are highly susceptible to tearing if caught on an edge. They're also very thick.

The black is an open cell finishing foam that actually works well.

Overall, the orange pad runs really hard, and vibrates like crazy. No standard random orbital can make it run smoothly - not the Porter Cable, not the Griots. It runs like a tank.

They will do the job though. As with any closed cell pad, you want to be gentle with how you clean and wash it. You don't want to use too much speed, pressure, or product, and want to avoid excessive heat. Be sure they've completely dried before using again. It could take a few days. It will be difficult to spin them dry. When the added weight of water in the foam is spinning, it will make the pads throw themselves off the paint. I've had one catapult across the garage, knocking the bucket over with it. Big mess...

Mike Phillips
08-03-2017, 01:59 PM
In the below two threads I share the pads and backing plates to get PLUS a TON of other information anyone will need to get into machine polishing. Plus some history that puts microfiber pads into context versus foam pads.

Seriously must-reading for anyone new to machine polishing.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (http://tinyurl.com/y736nudd)

i found this polisher at the store ,what products you recomend for low budget (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/110728-i-found-polisher-store-what-products-you-recomend-low-budget.html)

And I still am unable to locate the Harbor Freight Car Detailing Discussion Forum where people can go to get service after the sale?

It's all good....

:buffing:

neogenesis
08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I think ultimately a good backing plate and set of quality pads will be in order. And it seems like the route to go with a daily driver is HD speed (or similar). Gonna keep digesting info here. Appreciate all your help and suggestions.

VISITOR
08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
pads are an investment, buy quality ones (griot's garage, lake country, buff & shine to name a few) and they will last for quite some time and deliver excellent results time after time. here's a great write-up by joe on taking care of them as well...

Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/108132-cleaning-polishing-pads-stop-damaging-your-most-expensive-investment-mckee-s-37-polishing-pad-cleaner-review.html)

chet31
08-03-2017, 09:41 PM
I got some HF pads because I broke my backing plate on my PC 7424 and needed a new one ASAP. Got some HF pads as part of the backing plate. Long story short, the pads were terrible.

Eldorado2k
08-04-2017, 12:34 AM
China made junk pads

I could be wrong, but don't most foam pads come from China?