PDA

View Full Version : Iron X application

robwalling
08-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Can an iron remover be applied on a car that was washed the day before, and since driven?
Since the paint won't be touched during the process.

I'm expecting the car to be pretty clean, but Iron X application will not occur immediately after wash and dry.

Plan I was thinking is to wash and dry on Wednesday (garaged overnight). Use the car on Thursday (covered all day in parking garage), then Iron X, rinse off, quick wash, then clay with shampoo suds to prepare for compound and polish.

Rob
Tallahassee, FL

FrankS
08-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a plan :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
08-02-2017, 07:48 AM
I'd say 'yes'.

But it seems kind of backwards to me.

Why not either,

A: wash and rinse the car and then apply Iron X and then rinse it off?

or

B: Spray on Iron X, then blast it off, then wash, rinse and dry as normal.

or

C: Spray on Iron X, the wash, rinse and dry as normal?

I think I have 3 or 4 articles on using iron removers somewhere on this forum that share how to do the above...

What kind of car are you working on?

:)

robwalling
08-02-2017, 07:52 AM
It's an F80 M3.
I was thinking that car should be dried when applying the Iron X. And also thought shouldn't be dirty.

Rob

FrankS
08-02-2017, 08:35 AM
It's an F80 M3.
I was thinking that car should be dried when applying the Iron X. And also thought shouldn't be dirty.

Rob

Iron-X will be more effective if the car is dry or mostly dry since it won't be diluted by the rinse water.

It's okay if the car is a little dirty when applying Iron-X. If there is excessive dirt then you may want to address that first.

You can go with the 3 options Mike listed above.

If you are going to compound and polish the car then you may want to go with the aggressive approach to washing (Option C listed above) as indicated here:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html

PouncingPanzer
08-02-2017, 08:38 AM
You should be fine, so as long as there is any extensive off-roading in the meantime hahaha.

I have noticed that Iron-X bleeds less on a wet car, and seems a little hindered by the water on the surface.