PDA

View Full Version : Rate these sealant / wax...durability ...looks.... protection

HU11LK
08-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Long time reader first time post. Hello to you all.

I am interested in car detailing and tried many products. Wanted to rate a few sealants / waxes.. lets presume applied well, cured and car clayed before application

Please confirm or correct this list. Each is ranked 1-10 in category durability, looks and protection against bird bombs, bugs, tar, salt etc

Durability/looks/protection
1. Duragloss 601/105 8 / 8 / 8 = 24
2. Zaino z2 pro 8 / 7 / 5 = 20
3. Collinite 845 7 / 8 / 8 = 23
4. Collinite 915 8 / 9 / 8 = 25
5. Collinite 476s 9 / 8 / 8 = 25
6. Blackfire wet diamond pp 7 / 9 / 8 = 24
7. Fusso coat dark 8 / 8 / 8 = 24
8. Autoglym extra gloss protect 7 / 7 / 7 = 21
9. Meguiars ultimate liquid polish 5 / 9 / 7 = 21
10. Meguiars paint protect 365 8 / 6 / 7 = 21
11. Finish kare 1000p 8 / 8 / 8 = 24
12. Nufinish 8 / 5 / 6 = 19

Tightly contested but im calling a win for collinite 476s/915?

Thoughts?

Desertnate
08-02-2017, 08:00 AM
This is all pretty subjective, even for people who've used many of those products side-by-side. Environmental conditions and application process add another layer of variables to skew opinions.

The only two products on the list I've used is 845, and I hate to admit it, NuFinish from a VERY long time ago. From my experience, NuFinish actually equalled if not outlasted 845. Both would go more than 6 months so I'd have to give them at least a 9 since that exceeds my expectations for a normal sealant. Looks and protection go to 845 hands down.

Welcome to AG, by the way!

FUNX650
08-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Wanted to rate a few sealants/waxes..

lets presume applied well, cured and
car clayed before application

Please confirm or correct this list.
Each is ranked 1-10 in category
durability, looks and protection...

Thoughts?
•I'm thinking:

-Since you want us to presume that
the listed LSPs were applied according
to the specifications you list above...

-Whose rating-list (along with its
LSPs' characteristics-parameters)
is this---Yours; or, perhaps, some
other person's, group's, etc.? TIA.

Bob

mengelhardt
08-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Interesting choices when it came to the Meguiars products you included.... why exactly did you include Meg's Ultimate Polish against a bunch of LSP products? Same with the Paint Protect 365 product. Meguiars doesn't even make a claim that this product is supposed to add any shine/gloss whatsoever..... It's a protection product only that doesn't even take appearance into consideration. It's about the only product Meguiar's sells that doesn't even boast about adding any shine or gloss.

Mike Phillips
08-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Long time reader first time post. Hello to you all.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Always love seeing lurkers become active members...

Hope you don't mind but I did some creative editing for the next section you wrote so I could list your parameters using a bullet point list.

Just to note, the human eyes like to read lists....

Each is ranked 1-10 in category

durability,
looks
protection against bird bombs
bugs
tar
salt
etc

That's a great list of most of the common things people want a wax, sealant or coating to protect their paint from. The most common visual indicator human eyes can use to gauge or measure waxes, sealants and coatings is

Water Beading

And the below from your list is what people would use water beading to measure waxes, sealants and coatings,

durability,

This is purely subjective and a super dependent upon the color of the car and the condition and/or prep work

looks

The acids and other caustic substances found in,

protection against bird bombs
bugs
tar
salt
etc

Are normally strong enough to etch your car's paint and this means that they are normally strong enough to etch or eat through whatever you apply onto your car's paint, so none of them protect the paint as much as ALL of us wish.

I think the real key is - instead of looking for the longest or best protecting product or looking for something that beads water the longest, (water beading can lead to water etching spots), is to take the sage advice given to me years ago from a PPG Instructor by the name John Anderson, and that is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

That applies to your own cars. If you detail cars for money i.e. detail other people's cars then educate them and after detailing their car put them on a maintenance program where they bring your car back and you use something often on their car.

Great first thread...

:)

Eldorado2k
08-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Same with the Paint Protect 365 product. Meguiars doesn't even make a claim that this product is supposed to add any shine/gloss whatsoever..... It's a protection product only that doesn't even take appearance into consideration. It's about the only product Meguiar's sells that doesn't even boast about adding any shine or gloss.

Have you ever used it? I personally think it adds more gloss and darkens paint more dramatically than most waxes and sealants available today. [ones that claim to add beauty & shine but kinda really don't]

HU11LK
08-02-2017, 04:06 PM
With meguiars product I meant ultimate liquid wax.. Typo