PDA

View Full Version : D2G Review: Flex XC 3401

Pages : [1] 2

Dust2Glory
12-16-2007, 12:29 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1977_43319270

Well I know there's not alot more that can be said about this polisher, other wise it wouldn't of started such a fire in the detailing industry! This is just another man's take on such a great machine.

Let me start you with a brief history of my machines that I have used since going professional in detailing. First off was the Cyclo... this was a great machine IMO for wax application, not enough speed for correction, and if you wanted to correct... well lets say you could do a panel in about 6 hrs!
I did own a DeWalt rotary but was too scared to pull it out of the box and use it. So I sold it... then became a part of AG, and realized the potential with a rotary.

Then came the big UDM craze. And like many others I jumped on board. Don't get me wrong, this is a great machine compared to the cyclo. Faster correction time, easy to use and pretty much fool proof. But there had to be more... I kept eying the Metabo but could never commit to the price.

Well my good buddy Wolfpacker92 one day posted this outrageous post on the Flex. I'm thinking "Flex?" And slowly but surely other flex users were coming out of the woodworks telling how great this machine was. That is was a RO with the correcting ability of a Rotary, but less chance of a screw up i.e. holograms, or burning through paint. So I kept researching and reading other reviews and they were all great. Only issue with some was the backing plate (which my flex came with the 5.5). And I can honestly say this machine is for now, everything it's cracked up to be.

With what little time I had today, I polished half of my wife's hood on her corolla. I used a orange lo pro pad, 106ff.
The two thing i love most about this machine is placement of speed control, and that with the trigger you can control speed. So I can initally set the speed to 6... but with the trigger pulled slightly I can begin to work in the polish, then add more pressure and begin to actually polish, then back off the trigger to add brilliant shine! And it definately creates enough heat to break down the polishes... i polished a small area longer then i should of and it was warm, good thing.

The only "bad" thing about the flex, is on speed 1... there is alot of vibration. Not enough to make you not like the machine, but quite noticable. I have yet to wax a vehicle with the Flex, but will post thoughts back on this thread as soon as they become available.

And for those of you who are on backorder... trust me, you will gladly wait for this, instead of settling for a udm or pc. they will be collecting dust when this comes into your garage and collection

Tex Star Detail
12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the review. So when do I get to try it out? LOL
You need to have me make a video of you using it.
Oh, that font sucks!!!! hahahaha

jesselyons2002
12-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Is anyone going to do a review of the flex vs a rotary, Maybe the Makita 9227c

VISITOR
12-16-2007, 01:50 AM
thanks for the review. is there anyway possible of posting a video of it in action? i've seen one video already (from DU), but i am sure others would like to see more...

Z06-Goose
12-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Excellent. I've been wanting to hear more about the Flex. I know there are a lot of people like me who want more info, and i think you've just provided good info in the way I would've done had i bought the Flex and had to offer my views as well

supercharged
12-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks for a review. I'm thinking of getting one as soon as they become available...

mixxer
12-16-2007, 09:02 AM
thanks man im just waiting for them to come in!

zaxjax
12-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm waiting till after the holidays when stock is replenished. Thanks for the great review!

Kent - We need a MACA detail day? Are you up for that?

I'm sure we could get Gary, Scott (getblown2K3) and the two f us and have some fun!

Jason

Dust2Glory
12-16-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks for the review. is there anyway possible of posting a video of it in action? i've seen one video already (from DU), but i am sure others would like to see more...

You know what... I think i can help you with that. my mom bought my sister an old aerostar van... it's black with lots of oxidation!!! perfect vehicle!! i think i can get some footage up by the weekend

Dust2Glory
12-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Is anyone going to do a review of the flex vs a rotary, Maybe the Makita 9227c

RO and rotarys have their own places... you can't really compare the two. I think in reality nothing will beat a roatry... but the Flex does come close. Like i said, it's alot safer, for those people who don't have the time or don't want to use a rotary all together. This won't correct as fast as a rotary, but definately faster then pc or udm.

VISITOR
12-16-2007, 12:00 PM
You know what... I think i can help you with that. my mom bought my sister an old aerostar van... it's black with lots of oxidation!!! perfect vehicle!! i think i can get some footage up by the weekend

sweet, thanks! :)

wolfpacker92
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
RO and rotarys have their own places... you can't really compare the two. I think in reality nothing will beat a roatry... but the Flex does come close. Like i said, it's alot safer, for those people who don't have the time or don't want to use a rotary all together. This won't correct as fast as a rotary, but definately faster then pc or udm.

Exactly Dust you pretty much nailed it. If someone is already has a lot of experience with the rotary, like Toto, then the Flex would not be a must have. Heck Toto could take a rotary, orange pad, and a compound and finish it up LSP ready, he's that good! But most people can't and really to be truthful don't have the time or guidance it takes to get that good with the rotary.

Therein lies the perfect candidate for the Flex. If you want to be able to do paint correction and not take forever the Flex is for you. Heck I've seen pics of a hood that was wet sanded and the Flex finished the paint off like a rotary with no holograms or marring.

And Dust what do you mean "Outrageous"! :D You know I would never steer you wrong bro! Now I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I think you and the missus would be interested in.:righton:

Jimmie
12-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the review Dust. Good info there. So I take it that standard RO nor Rotary backing plates don't fit the Flex.

Showroom Shine
12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I got my Flex Thursday,and went for the Menzerna,and to the garage.
I really enjoyed myself. The Flex is really easy to use. I normally use a rotory and have a good deal of experience with it. But the Flex was so balanced,light, smoooth running, and fairly queit,too. Altogether a pleasure to operate. The correction was Great too. I would encourage anyone that is considering buying a buffer no matter what type or brand, choose the FLEX! You will not be disappointed. The Hype is for real! It's a good machine! Worth the cash!

wolfpacker92
12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the review Dust. Good info there. So I take it that standard RO nor Rotary backing plates don't fit the Flex.

What's up Jimmie! You are correct that standard backing plates will not work with the Flex. The Flex has a gear driven direct drive backing plate. Here are a few pics of it so youcan see the how it looks.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/DSC_0305-1.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/DSC_0304-1.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/DSC_0303-1.jpg

Hope this helps. And Showroom Shine said it great...Believe the Hype!