PDA

View Full Version : Questions about leather conditioner.

Pages : [1] 2

E93to
07-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Hello.

I have a convertible that I religiously maintain. During summer season, I wipe down the interior (leather seats, steering wheel, leather door panel, etc) with damp cloth after three top-down drivings. For example, if I drove with the top down three times over the course of 2 weeks, then I clean the interior. I also dry the leather surfaces with damp cloth.

I was wondering whether this strips leather conditioner I applied...? I detail my car's interior once in a month or so during summer (or sometimes once in 1.5 - 2 months).

I use Zaino cleaner and conditioner. My car is always kept in garage. And I drive twice a week or so... (Less than 40 miles per week)

Thanks in advance

Eldorado2k
07-31-2017, 11:08 PM
I was wondering whether this strips leather conditioner I applied...?

Yea, I would think so.

What kind of car is it?
Is it real leather?
What kind of towel do you use to wipedown?
Do you ever vacuum prior to wiping it down? [i.e. with a soft dust brush attachment]

FUNX650
08-01-2017, 08:12 AM
I use Zaino cleaner and conditioner

During summer season,
I wipe down the interior (leather
seats, steering wheel, leather
door panel, etc) with damp cloth
after three top-down drivings.

I also dry the leather surfaces
with damp cloth.

I was wondering whether this strips
leather conditioner I applied...?

More than likely the leather
Conditioner will have gone belly-up
after being subjected to the damp
wipe-downs/damp-drying sessions.

•To circumvent that issue:
-Using a leather Protectant product
would be a better choice, IMO.

"Clean and Protect!"

Bob

E93to
08-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Yea, I would think so.

What kind of car is it?
Is it real leather?
What kind of towel do you use to wipedown?
Do you ever vacuum prior to wiping it down? [i.e. with a soft dust brush attachment]

I have an E93, which came with real leather.

I use soft (and very slippery) towels

I vacuum the seats but I don't use brush

E93to
08-01-2017, 09:33 AM

•To circumvent that issue:
-Using a leather Protectant product
would be a better choice, IMO.

"Clean and Protect!"

Bob

What are some leather protectant products you recommend? Thanks

EDIT: did you mean leather conditioner? I am not a professional, so I got the terms mixed up lol. Also, I was wondering whether it is safe to apply 303 Aerospace Protectant on leather... I've read about people applying that on leather.

E93to
08-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Additional question:

I've been doing this wipe-down for my car during the 7-year ownership (I bought it new)

Did I cause some kind of permanent damage to my leather interior because this wipe-down routine stripped leather conditioner that was supposed to protect the leather?

Eldorado2k
08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
I use soft (and very slippery) towels

I vacuum the seats but I don't use brush

What kind of towels are they? What are they made of? Cotton, microfiber, microsuede, synthetic, or?

What attachment do you use while vacuuming your seats?

E93to
08-01-2017, 11:18 PM
What kind of towels are they? What are they made of? Cotton, microfiber, microsuede, synthetic, or?

What attachment do you use while vacuuming your seats?

The towels are cotton.

I don't attach anything to the vacuum.

MattPersman
08-02-2017, 05:26 AM
Would use something like the Gyeon leather, or gtechniq that Mile Phillips reviewed earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nix
08-02-2017, 07:20 AM
been using this on all my cars Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html) works great and car smells nice too..i use it once a month..Modern car seat leather are coated so i don use conditioner..

E93to
08-02-2017, 12:03 PM
So, should I just clean and condition (apply protectant) once in every three top-down driving? If I drive with the top down on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then should I just do full interior detail? I live in a big city. So if I drive with the top down, all kinds of dust accumulate inside the car... If I wipe the surface of backseat, my hand gets black smudges...

Also, does the wipe-down routine with damp cloth that I have been doing for 7 years normally hurt or damage leather...?

Eldorado2k
08-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Also, does the wipe-down routine with damp cloth that I have been doing for 7 years normally hurt or damage leather...?

You're the best person to ask... Has it hurt the leather? What kind of condition is it in after 7yrs? Does it look worn, or would you say it still looks fairly like it did brand new?

E93to
08-03-2017, 01:44 PM
You're the best person to ask... Has it hurt the leather? What kind of condition is it in after 7yrs? Does it look worn, or would you say it still looks fairly like it did brand new?

It still has the nice matte finish after 7 years (even newer cars have shinier leather than mine)... No wrinkles, scratches, uneven colors, etc. Steering wheel is perfect matte finish as well. But that's just the appearance. So if it looks fine = no damage to leather?

E93to
08-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Please help me out here...

How should I go about maintaining leather on my convertible? Do I just detail the entire interior once in every three top-down drivings?

E93to
08-03-2017, 01:49 PM

Hey, Eldorado2k. You asked me a number of questions (real leather, what kind of towels, what attachment to the vacuum cleaner, etc). How do they affect leather? Do they affect longevity of leather conditioner? Are there better ways to care for leather in my case?

Thanks