PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to polish the front beak of a 2017 Acura RDX

RWC32
07-31-2017, 08:08 PM
I just got a used 2017 Silver Acura RDX and I am still figuring out what products to use where. What do you guys use to polish the front beak. It seems to show any thing that has any oils in it and gets streaky.

Thanks in advance.

RWC32
07-31-2017, 10:21 PM
Sorry for my "cleverness" Beak = front grill. Does kinda look like a beak when you look at it. LOL

FUNX650
08-01-2017, 07:46 AM
•Polish for front protrusion (beak): :dunno:

•Polish for rear protrusion:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_32531.JPG

Bob

RWC32
08-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Booty Prep seems like it will be an excellent cleaner but doesn't seem to provide any protection. The Acura grill is in between a flat and a semi-shiny surface, what would you follow it up with?

etnops
08-01-2017, 02:26 PM
I've got an Acura with "the beak". It's semi-matte painted plastic.
Don't polish it. Don't try to abrade it. Just clean it.
For protection, Meguiars D156 has never failed. Rupes P808 and Griot's Best of Show Detailer have both worked with success, as well.

Cleaning regimen has always been regular old car soap. Every few months it'll get sprayed down with diluted Optimum Power Clean, and agitated with a boar's hair brush.

RWC32
08-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks a bunch etnops. The grill really has its' own texture and look. Too shiny, wouldn't look right. Too much oil and it gets streaky. Sounds like synthetic may be the way to go

Much appreciated.

BlackMDX
08-01-2017, 06:24 PM
I have an MDX and RDX with the beak. When I detailed them the first time they were both clayed with Pinnacle Clay and then polished with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. The RDX was then sealed with two coats of Griot's Liquid Gloss Poly Wax (paint and beak), and the MDX received two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. There were no problems (streaking) with any of the aforementioned products, and they did not alter the unique brushed finish of the beak.

The detailing was done nearly a year ago. I plan to repeat the process in Sept, or Oct. In the nine or ten months that have passed I have washed regularly, and added liquid and paste wax when I felt the sealants were starting to give out. More often I was looking for an excuse to try out a new product. I have used Collinite 845, Wolfgang Fuzion in both spray and paste, all with good results.

I never felt any of these applications left the beak with excessive shine, and nor did any of them change the look of its brushed finish. I will not hesitate to repeat the process again this fall.