PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some input...

Livin at 5280
07-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Hey Guys!

I'm looking at buying a Griot's Garage G15 or G21 long throw polisher. However, I need some help choosing the Goldilocks between the two. I realize there is a number of factors that come into play, but I'm just looking for the best universal machine from real world experiences. It looks like a lot of people use the G21 with the 5" BP combo. My arsenal already includes a GG6" third gen polisher. Some folks say it's pointless to just move up a little bit to G15, but I also don't want some monster huge paint burner neither. I'm looking to find a happy medium / relationship between the GG6" and the new Boss series polishers. Would love to hear some input! Thanks!

GSKR
07-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Ive been at this for 25 years and I only have a rotary and 2 gg6.

I bought the Griot and the new makita and returned them both.

The 3401 would be a good choice as far as stepping up.

For me i can't use those I can't adapt to the stalling and under power.

Every one has there preference and liking for me its simple.

:)

FrankS
07-30-2017, 09:29 PM
... Some folks say it's pointless to just move up a little bit to G15, but I also don't want some monster huge paint burner neither.

I agree. I'd go with the G21 if you must have a larger throw.

You can get a lot done with just the GG6 as Jeff (GSKR) mentioned. It's a powerful little DA.

You are just about as likely to burn the paint with the G21 as you would the GG6...not very likely.

Mike Phillips
07-31-2017, 07:54 AM
I realize there is a number of factors that come into play, but I'm just looking for the best universal machine from real world experiences.

What kind of detailing do you do?

Just your own cars?

Show Car Detailing?

Production Detailing?

Do want speed most of all or smooth, low vibration buffing and time doesn't matter?

:)

Livin at 5280
07-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Hi Mike

I do both my own vehicles and some production work on the side. I just find the GG6 not that comfortable for extended periods of time, due to all the jiggling and wobbling. So something that will cut time down, but smooth and lower vibration. I borrow my friends 7" Makita rotary polisher from time to time depending on the project, but I don't like working with that much power and the risk involved. My main concern I guess... Is the G21 throw too large to use on most vehicles recently built and into the future? Seems like vehicles are getting more difficult to detail lol! I usually work on smaller SUVs/trucks and cars. Thanks!

Heisenberg
07-31-2017, 09:53 AM
I own/owned and use/have used:

Flex 3401
Makita po5000c
Rupes 21(legacy)
Rupes 15 MK2
G21
PC 7424
GG6

If I was going to say "this is the one machine I will use going forward" it would be the G21 with a 5'' BP. I have no problems using it on a multitude of cars and I love the instant-start and the ergonomics of it. It can vibrate a little if you use the washer mod, IMO. It's still smooth. I would recommend grabbing Griot's 3'' BP and keeping your GG6 for intricate work.

The Rupes 15 is right there with the G21. It's really like 1a and 1b. I still like having options, and I've found it really is personal preference sometimes.