PDA

View Full Version : Is IPA wipe down necessary after yellow/white products?

Bryan@AzDPC.com
07-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Yes, an old dog can teach himself new tricks. Over the last 5 years my main system has been Flex 3401 coupled with Menzerna FG400, SF3500, Power Lock and Color Lock. I haven't had any cars that didn't respond well to this system. Very good system. Very powerful system. Awesome products. But to avoid ghosting like "holograms" resulting from a slight residue remaining after the Menzerna SF3500 polishing step, I found it necessary to do an IPA wipe down before moving on to the PL and CL.

Currently, I'm using the Rupes LHR 21 and their blue/green/yellow/white system. Here's my question. In order to avoid similar "holograms" using the Rupes system, is it necessary/advisable to do an IPA wipe down after the yellow and/or white steps? I prefer to interact with the paint as little as possible and it would be good to eliminate the IPA wipe down if possible.

Thanks for any input.

dlc95
07-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Unless otherwise advised by the manufacturer of the LSP, I never do.

Duragloss 111, Megs M21/Ultimate Wax, Rupes 808 sealant, Optimum Opti-Seal/Car Wax don't indicate the need for such a wipe down.

I use the Rupes Diamond, Keramik, and UHS. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish/M205, and Menzerna SF4000/PF25000 as either one steps, or finishing polishes, and never have an issue.

David Fermani
07-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Overall, I'd have to say no wipedown is needed unless there's real world documentation that the protectant you're using requires one. Otherwise, see which pad gives you the best final finish and do an isolated test spot wipedown to see if there's any filling occurring. Keep your pad clean and move forward after....

Bryan@AzDPC.com
07-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Unless otherwise advised by the manufacturer of the LSP, I never do.

Duragloss 111, Megs M21/Ultimate Wax, Rupes 808 sealant, Optimum Opti-Seal/Car Wax don't indicate the need for such a wipe down.

I use the Rupes Diamond, Keramik, and UHS. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish/M205, and Menzerna SF4000/PF25000 as either one steps, or finishing polishes, and never have an issue.

Thanks for the response. And I do appreciate it! So, don't take this the wrong way.

I live in the land of the scorpion and I have a friend who has a thriving pest control business. On our local community Facebook page he is so well liked that customers post there and go as far to say "I've never had a scorpion at my house since I've been using Steve's service". Well, Steve and I both know they are not really looking very hard to find any scorpions. In fact, I have an open challenge to the community. I give 10-1 odds to any taker that I can find scorpions on anyone's property. All it takes is a black light and a cursory search of the property to expose the little critters.

Same thing with the SF3500 residue. It's there. No ifs, and or buts. Can't be wiped off without a treated microfiber. And that's what I tell my customers. I guarantee them that if they want to save a little money having me skip the IPA then they will be able to see a very faint "holograming" if they look for it.

So, the question isn't really about Menzerna. It's about Rupes and whether or not their polish(es) leave a residue that needs IPA cleaning. I'm working on a black 69 Camaro and I'd prefer not to wipe it down with IPA. But, I'll do so if necessary. If anyone has a definitive answer to this very specific question I'd be very greatfull to hear from them.

Thanks!

FUNX650
07-30-2017, 01:47 PM
It's about Rupes and whether or not
their polish(es) leave a residue that
needs IPA cleaning.

If anyone has a definitive answer to
this very specific question I'd be very
greatfull to hear from them.

Both of the RUPES Yellow/White "steps"
are stated as being body-shop safe.

FWIW:
That is one way I define not
having to perform a "panel-wipe"
before applying a Wax or Sealant.

YMMV, of course.

Just a note in passing:
Instead of IPA...I prefer the
below product as a "panel-wipe"
when using Menzerna's polishes.

Menzerna Control Cleaner, detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-top-inspection.html)

Bob

dlc95
07-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the response. And I do appreciate it! So, don't take this the wrong way.

I live in the land of the scorpion and I have a friend who has a thriving pest control business. On our local community Facebook page he is so well liked that customers post there and go as far to say "I've never had a scorpion at my house since I've been using Steve's service". Well, Steve and I both know they are not really looking very hard to find any scorpions. In fact, I have an open challenge to the community. I give 10-1 odds to any taker that I can find scorpions on anyone's property. All it takes is a black light and a cursory search of the property to expose the little critters.

Same thing with the SF3500 residue. It's there. No ifs, and or buts. Can't be wiped off without a treated microfiber. And that's what I tell my customers. I guarantee them that if they want to save a little money having me skip the IPA then they will be able to see a very faint "holograming" if they look for it.

So, the question isn't really about Menzerna. It's about Rupes and whether or not their polish(es) leave a residue that needs IPA cleaning. I'm working on a black 69 Camaro and I'd prefer not to wipe it down with IPA. But, I'll do so if necessary. If anyone has a definitive answer to this very specific question I'd be very greatfull to hear from them.

Thanks!

Understood.

I approach this way: Since the sealant manufacturer doesn't request a wipe down, I assume that something in their formula will aid in bonding, or that the application method itself will provide enough "cleaning" to get the sealing product to the paint.

I used to follow the Rupes polishes with Duragloss 111, and now Rupes 808 with no apparent detriment to sealant performance.

As far as menzerna leaving holograms, I have yet to experience it. In fact, the paint squeaks after I wipe off SF4000.

Bryan@AzDPC.com
07-30-2017, 02:27 PM
As far as menzerna leaving holograms, I have yet to experience it. In fact, the paint squeaks after I wipe off SF4000.

They're really not holograms as in rotary holograms. Hologram is just a term I'm borrowing to describe the phenomenon. They are VERY slight. In fact, so slight that I don't usually bother removing them when I do my own car. Unless I'm going to GoodGuys or another top show. But, the AZ sun is very unforgiving as are some customers. :-)

And speaking of the AZ sun. This week of all weeks for the last thousand years that sucker has gone away. And I've gotta deliver this car Tuesday. I always do my final QC check in the full sun. :mad:

dcjredline
07-30-2017, 02:53 PM
I tend to not worry what everyone else is doing. If I see things I dont like prior to applying the LSP then I wipe with my product of choice. If I see nothing (or the customer and I dont really care) then I go to LSP. Its YOUR business and YOUR reputation.

The Guz
07-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

Bryan@AzDPC.com
07-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Well, whadaya know? Looks like I shamed the sun into coming out of hiding. The verdict? No residue with the Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish. Awesome. And that settles it, I'm switching to Rupes. I'll have to get a 15 to complement my 21 and my mini. I'm really impressed with the LHR 21 MarkII.

FrankS
07-30-2017, 06:32 PM
I know what you're talking about when you mention the "hologram" appearance after using Menzerna.

I've seen it. It's the oily polish residue left over after wiping. Just takes more time and effort to get it off.

Rupes polishes are not as oily.