PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Correction - My Method

Route246
07-29-2017, 09:36 PM
I've been studying headlight correction for the past few months. There are so many articles, blogs, infomercials and youtube videos out there and it makes my head spin. Toothpaste, baking soda, sandpaper, polish, AIO, the list is endless.

I uploaded a snapshot my latest project result, a Prius that had the standard, cloudy yellowed lenses (sorry, no before picture) that were causing dim headlights at night.

This was a multi-step process.

Wet sand with 1000 followed up by wet sand with 3000. I sanded until the mirky runoff turned white. It was quite yellow in the beginning and at the end of the 1000 wet sand the run off was white/clear. The 3000 wet sand removed the scratches caused by the 1000 and left 3000 wet sand scratches. The lens is still murky clear after the 3000 wet sanding.

At this point I decided to use what I had. The first cut was Sonax 03/06 Nano Polish with a medium cut pad. Most of the 3000 wet sand scratches were removed at this point and clarity was beginning to show. Upon close inspection I could still see light scratching.

The next stage was McKee's 360 AIO with a polishing pad. Why? No other reason but it seemed like something that might improve on the light scratching. The result was pretty good, almost restored to new state.

I topped this with Collinite 476S followed by Optimum spray wax. Again, why? Only because it was handy and felt like there was no harm in trying. Note: I don't have any coating or I would have tried that.

Headlight correction is like chicken soup. There are thousands of recipes and methods out there but the common objective is to make you feel good when you're done. Mission accomplished.

BryanH
07-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Good stuff. I tend to treat plastic lenses like paint, and just use my DA with a polish/compound followed by a sealant. It tends to work quickly. I've had one stubborn car (which sits outside) where the headlights turn yellow and cloudy after a month or two no matter what sealant I use. I'm going to try wetsanding them as a first step next time.

Route246
07-30-2017, 02:08 AM
Good stuff. I tend to treat plastic lenses like paint, and just use my DA with a polish/compound followed by a sealant. It tends to work quickly. I've had one stubborn car (which sits outside) where the headlights turn yellow and cloudy after a month or two no matter what sealant I use. I'm going to try wetsanding them as a first step next time.

A month or two is pretty quick. There are people in these forums recommending coatings. I haven't made that investment yet. I'm still messing with polish, sealants and waxes.

BryanH
07-30-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking about trying this kit next, which comes with sanding blocks and a coating: Meguiars Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-heavy-duty-headlight.html)

xcracer48
09-24-2017, 03:15 PM
What kind of sandpaper do you use? Anything special?

FUNX650
09-24-2017, 03:57 PM
IMO:
In order for refinished polycarbonate (PC)
lenses to maintain more than just a few
weeks, or so, of non-yellow-clarity...then:
after sanding off all of the PC lenses' OEM
protective layer, it must be replaced with
a similar protective layer.

Pictured below is one such product
that will provide that similar-to-OEM
PC lenses' protective layer.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3552.PNG

Bob

dcjredline
09-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Awesome idea Bob!

OP: Next time before the wet sanding just TRY the McKees AIO, it has worked some miracles for me with NO wet sanding. Yeah if you want 100% perfection you may need to wet sand but just like with paint, depending on the expectations more times than not 80% correction is good enough for people. Im not saying McKees is an 80% product Im saying for one step it makes a serious dent in nasty headlights and can produce some close to 100% results sometimes too.

Route246
09-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Awesome idea Bob!

OP: Next time before the wet sanding just TRY the McKees AIO, it has worked some miracles for me with NO wet sanding. Yeah if you want 100% perfection you may need to wet sand but just like with paint, depending on the expectations more times than not 80% correction is good enough for people. Im not saying McKees is an 80% product Im saying for one step it makes a serious dent in nasty headlights and can produce some close to 100% results sometimes too.

I tried 360 first. It wouldn't cut through the yellow. Neither would 105. Required 1000 to get all of the yellow out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk