PDA

View Full Version : N-914 as a panel wipe?

cleanmycorolla
07-29-2017, 06:24 PM
What are your thoughts? I have a gallon coming. Along with some Hydro Blue mystery box action as well.

Will it replace my go to paint prep which is Optimum Paint Prep, its so awesome!

FUNX650
07-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Once you have both products
on hand (it sounds like it'll be
very soon)...go over both of
'em with a fine-tooth comb, by
using: "The Test Spot" process.

That'll give you an opportunity to
make the best judgement call on
which product you'll like the best
as a panel-wipe, IMO.

Bob

mwoywod
07-29-2017, 07:09 PM
IMO it doesn't work very well as a paint prep. That said, I've only tried it twice.

While I don't like to mix chemicals, I wonder if adding 1-2 oz. of N-914 into my 32oz bottle of 10% IPA would actually help the IPA by adding lubricity.

cleanmycorolla
07-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Once you have both products
on hand (it sounds like it'll be
very soon)...go over both of
'em with a fine-tooth comb, by
using: "The Test Spot" process.

That'll give you an opportunity to
make the best judgement call on
which product you'll like the best
as a panel-wipe, IMO.

Bob

I indeed will. I tried this with Optimum and the Blackfire Paint Prep and noticed no difference, only in price. Optimum was cheaper and did a great job. I am hoping N914 will provide just the same as it would ideally be extremely more econimocal in gallon form for me.

cleanmycorolla
07-29-2017, 07:10 PM
IMO it doesn't work very well as a paint prep. That said, I've only tried it twice.

While I don't like to mix chemicals, I wonder if adding 1-2 oz. of N-914 into my 32oz bottle of 10% IPA would actually help the IPA by adding lubricity.

You always provide such great observations, so thanks! What didn't you like? streaking? residue left over? I plan on using it as prep for various coatings. Thanks

vobro
07-29-2017, 07:46 PM
I've also only used it twice and I find it can be a bit grabby, may be humidity related? I usually use CP Eraser or Opti panel wipe and find they are more slick (less friction) and flash quicker. I love N-914, it's very versatile both inside and outside, it's a great glass cleaner, doesn't irritate my skin and smells good but not too strong but I think I'll stick with the other paint prep for coatings but may revisit the N-914 before a sealant. Give it a try as a panel prep and let us know.

Sizzle Chest
07-29-2017, 07:51 PM
I find it very slick. I like it, however I still find myself reaching for Eraser---that smell!!! And I like that it 'flashes' away quickly too.

Nix
07-29-2017, 07:57 PM
I have gallon of N 914 love this product for rinseless wash but never tried as panel wipe.. i like optimum paint prep..another product i have tried was dupli color wax and grease remover found at local advance auto. it can be grabby at times..cost 8 dollar for 32oz.

Mad Wax
07-29-2017, 10:01 PM
I think Joe @ Next Level Detail mentioned N-914 at panel wipe dilution will not remove wax or sealant, but will remove compound and polish residue.

Mike@ShineStruck
07-29-2017, 10:37 PM
I think Joe @ Next Level Detail mentioned N-914 at panel wipe dilution will not remove wax or sealant, but will remove compound and polish residue.

This holds true with all panel/coating preps
If you want something's by to remove sealant/wax there is a certain acid based product that'll do just that and then some.

mwoywod
07-30-2017, 12:16 AM
You always provide such great observations, so thanks! What didn't you like? streaking? residue left over? I plan on using it as prep for various coatings. Thanks

Thank you, That's very kind. I actually do think N-914 at panel wipe ratio provides much better slickness than IPA which is great, but it just didn't seem to provide the "squeaky" clean surface that IPA or other panel wipe solvents will. That doesn't mean it didn't remove the polishing oils, I'm just basing my experience on "feel" alone which is completely subjective.

You are certainly right about N-914 being a ridiculously economical panel wipe. Personally, unless I'm using Mckee's coatings and sealants I'll probably stick with IPA. Makes me wonder what solvent (ethyl alcohol?) Mckee's uses in their N-914 formula to make it strong enough to actually dissolve polishing oils?

Kumba
07-30-2017, 12:35 AM
I just bought a gallon. I will be trying it next weekend. I hope it works as I'm looking for a more economical option than CP Eraser. This is soooo much cheaper.

fightnews
07-30-2017, 05:45 AM

i mix things all the time if that helps,

cleanmycorolla
07-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Thank you, That's very kind. I actually do think N-914 at panel wipe ratio provides much better slickness than IPA which is great, but it just didn't seem to provide the "squeaky" clean surface that IPA or other panel wipe solvents will. That doesn't mean it didn't remove the polishing oils, I'm just basing my experience on "feel" alone which is completely subjective.

You are certainly right about N-914 being a ridiculously economical panel wipe. Personally, unless I'm using Mckee's coatings and sealants I'll probably stick with IPA. Makes me wonder what solvent (ethyl alcohol?) Mckee's uses in their N-914 formula to make it strong enough to actually dissolve polishing oils?

Thanks! I am eager to try it out and see if your findings are on point.