PDA

View Full Version : Better Look- Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang Deep Gloss?

Newmann
07-29-2017, 04:39 PM
I have been doing a lot of research into sealants and waxes and have pretty much narrowed it down to Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 Sealant. Surprisingly, with all of the info and even videos out there, there is a lot of focus on durability, but not as much info on which one of these products provides the best looks and appearance. Any opinions from those who have used both would be great!

A little background, I am a car enthusiast that enjoys detailing my own cars, but definitely not a professional. I know my limitations so I always try to stick with products that are easy to use and apply. Currently I use Optimum Car Wax as my stand alone LSP. I like OCW a lot, but want to dial things up to the next level both in terms of the look, and also durable protection. In my experience OCW looks good, but a little more pop or shine would be nice. I'll probably stick with OCW as an in between LSP for whichever sealant I pick.

My cars are metallic silver and white, so based on my understanding a quality sealant should be a better option for me on these light metallic colors than a wax since depth isn't the strength of these colors (plus I could use the extended sealant durability for when I don't have time to wash).

Menzerna Power Lock and WGDG 3.0 are only $10 different in price, so cost isn't a factor here and I really am most focused on choosing the one that will give me the best look on metallic silver and white. I know the durability on either should be a good step up from OCW, so for me it is all about the best appearance. Please let me know your thoughts? Thanks in advance for all opinions!

mcate
07-29-2017, 05:26 PM
I've used them both extensively & I honestly can't tell a difference. I really like them both. I know that's not much help, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Rsurfer
07-29-2017, 06:31 PM
I've used them both extensively & I honestly can't tell a difference. I really like them both. I know that's not much help, but you really can't go wrong with either.:iagree:But you can step it up to the next level by polishing. By removing the marring you will increase the gloss no matter what sealant you are using.:props:

jdgamble
07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
I just applied WG Deep Gloss to my white car today. It looks fantastic. Prior to the sealant, I did some correction and polish. It's almost glowing. Can't help you with comparison, but you can't go wrong with WG.

FUNX650
07-29-2017, 07:34 PM
I have been doing a lot of research
into sealants and waxes and have
pretty much narrowed it down to
Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang
Deep Gloss 3.0 Sealant.

In my experience OCW looks good,
but a little more pop or shine would
be nice.

I'll probably stick with OCW as an
in between LSP for whichever sealant
I pick.

•You say you'll be using OCW for
this purpose...but what exactly, in
this scenario, is an "in-between LSP"?

•Since Optimum Car Wax has both
Carnauba Wax and Sealant-polymers,
it could be considered a Hybrid Sealant
(or a Hybrid Wax?).

{But foremost in its formulation, IMO, is
the fact that it contains both UVA and
UVB absorbers---real protection from
those harmful rays of the Sun.}

Bob

vobro
07-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Between the both mentioned in the op, they look too close to tell the difference. I may add the OCW may have more shine than both, it looks great. As mentioned a polish step before will add to the over all gloss

GSKR
07-29-2017, 09:00 PM
I think powerlock played around with both for years.Really depends on the color speed topped off with powerlock is a nice combo very vibrant.

BryanH
07-30-2017, 01:03 AM
I've used both PowerLock and WDGPS 3.0 (though never on the same car for a direct comparison). Both are very easy to apply and remove, but I have had a couple cases where PowerLock didn't "take" properly somehow and water beading was short-lived (I use CarPro Eraser after polishing to prep the surface for LSP). On cars where it did take, it was fine. But the first time I used the Wolfgang sealant, I was wowed. It gets my vote.

Newmann
07-30-2017, 06:13 PM
•You say you'll be using OCW for
this purpose...but what exactly, in
this scenario, is an "in-between LSP"?

•Since Optimum Car Wax has both
Carnauba Wax and Sealant-polymers,
it could be considered a Hybrid Sealant
(or a Hybrid Wax?).

{But foremost in its formulation, IMO, is
the fact that it contains both UVA and
UVB absorbers---real protection from
those harmful rays of the Sun.}

Bob

What I had meant by in between was I would use either Power Lock or WGDG as the base sealant every 3 months or so, and then on washes in between I would use OCW on top of the sealant to get some extra protection and shine.

Do you think OCW would work well with Power Lock or WGDG for this purpose?

Newmann
07-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input! It sounds like it is very close between these 2 products in terms of the look. So far it sounds like a tie so I don't know what I am going to buy!

One other question, I do have Xpel film on the hood and front bumper. Would Power Lock and/or WGDG be OK to use on the Xpel film? Any advantage to one or the other for this purpose?

FUNX650
07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
What I had meant by in between
was I would use either Power Lock
or WGDG as the base sealant every
3 months or so,

and then on washes in between I
would use OCW on top of the sealant
to get some extra protection and shine.

Do you think OCW would work well with
Power Lock or WGDG for this purpose?
•I'm thinking that you originally weren't
too overjoyed with the look/appearance
of OCW. (Per your OP, re-posted below)

•With that in mind, then, IMO:
-If you use OCW, after car washings
and on top of either of the other two
Sealants, you have basically returned
back to square one---that is: OCW has,
again, become the vehicle's LSP.

-I dare say that's probably not the result
you were hoping to accomplish when you
first started this Mission.

Bob

I have been doing a lot of research
into sealants and waxes and have
pretty much narrowed it down to
Menzerna Power Lock or Wolfgang
Deep Gloss 3.0 Sealant. Surprisingly,
with all of the info and even videos
out there, there is a lot of focus on
durability, but not as much info on
which one of these products provides
the best looks and appearance.
Any opinions from those who have
used both would be great!

A little background, I am a car
enthusiast that enjoys detailing
my own cars, but definitely not
a professional.
I know my limitations so I always
try to stick with products that are
easy to use and apply.

Currently I use Optimum Car
Wax as my stand alone LSP. I like
OCW a lot, but want to dial things
up to the next level both in terms
of the look, and also durable
protection. In my experience OCW
looks good, but a little more pop or
shine would be nice.

I'll probably stick with OCW as
an in between LSP for whichever
sealant I pick.

My cars are metallic silver and white,
so based on my understanding a quality
sealant should be a better option for me
on these light metallic colors than a wax
since depth isn't the strength of these
colors (plus I could use the extended
sealant durability for when I don't have
time to wash).

Menzerna Power Lock and WGDG 3.0 are
only $10 different in price, so cost isn't a
factor here and I really am most focused
on choosing the one that will give me the
best look on metallic silver and white.

I know the durability on either
should be a good step up from OCW,

so for me it is all about
the best appearance.

Please let me know your thoughts?
Thanks in advance for all opinions!

Newmann
08-01-2017, 08:15 PM
•I'm thinking that you originally weren't
too overjoyed with the look/appearance
of OCW. (Per your OP, re-posted below)

•With that in mind, then, IMO:
-If you use OCW, after car washings
and on top of either of the other two
Sealants, you have basically returned
back to square one---that is: OCW has,
again, become the vehicle's LSP.

-I dare say that's probably not the result
you were hoping to accomplish when you
first started this Mission.

Bob

I'm definitely willing to try another spray wax or instant detailer product instead of the OCW.

In fact I just noticed a packaged deal on sale right now where the Wolfgang Instant Detailer Spritz comes with the WGDGS 3.0 for only a couple bucks more.

Do you have any experience with the Wolfgang Instant Detailer Spray? Could this be a better option for a topper for those washes in between the WGDG Sealant applications?

Newmann
08-01-2017, 08:36 PM
:iagree:But you can step it up to the next level by polishing. By removing the marring you will increase the gloss no matter what sealant you are using.:props:

Thanks for the feedback. My paint is in pretty good condition but I agree with you that polish and prep is key.

As just an enthusiast, Polishing right now is beyond my experience level. Would I be better off just paying a good detailer to do a good polish for me, or are there any polish products I could do myself by hand that would bring any value (such as something like Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer) prior to applying the sealant myself?

Route246
08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
My white RS sits in the garage 98% of the time and is sealed with WGDGPS, topped with Fuzion and OCW used as drying agent. I took delivery on it six months ago and requested the dealer not to wash it. Light decontamination and polish before sealing and the paint looks pretty nice with the Fuzion and OCW combo on top. Fuzion is impressive on top of the sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk