PDA

View Full Version : Matte rims - coating ?

Johnydamouni
07-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Hi Mike

So I have bought these New pair of rims
I would like to coat them, and would not mind them to be more glossy actually.
But would it ruin them to coat them with a normal alloy coating, that Adds a sheen?

Thanks for Everything.

Desertnate
07-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I can't speak for your wheels, but I recently coated a set of satin gray OZ wheels with regular Cquartz. The coating *slightly* darkened the finish and the change in gloss was almost unnoticeable. Even though I was applying the coating myself, I still had a very hard time telling which ones had been coated and which didn't.

zmcgovern45
07-27-2017, 12:58 PM
You'll be fine as long as you apply the coating properly. We have coated many matte and satin wheels over the years and the appearance is slightly darkened, as desertnate said, however they are not glossy/shiny/non-matte by any means after coating. If, however, you slather some coating all over the wheel and fail to level it properly afterwards, you may get some spots that appear completely different which is why I stressed the proper application part.

Marc08EX
07-27-2017, 01:11 PM
My wheels are matte and I coated it with Opti-coat 2.0. It barely added gloss so if that's what you're worried about, you'll be fine.

As far as performance, the coating is doing what it's supposed to do.

Klasse Act
07-27-2017, 05:49 PM
My wheels aren't matte but aren't glossy either and I did 3x's Pinnacle BL paint coating on them. This was done while my tires/wheels were sitting in my daughters room over the winter and I waited weeks inbetween coatings because I could. I didn't notice a change in my finish at all but then again they aren't pure matte either.

Your wise to coat them, it truly does make a world of difference when cleaning, I can't get over how easy it is. Have you considered Sonax wheel shield for them, maybe someone can chime in on this product when using it on matte wheels. I know this, before I go down to the Dragon this year I'm applying coat to them whether they need it or not because it too is an awesome product for keeping your wheels protected!

zmcgovern45
07-27-2017, 07:16 PM
I did not prefer Sonax Wheel Rim Shield on Matte black wheels. When I attempted to use it on a matte black finish, it did not create a uniform finish and I had to wipe it away. Based on my experience with SWRS, it works best on glossy finishes and/or light colored wheels.

FUNX650
07-27-2017, 10:06 PM
I would like to coat them,

and would not mind them
to be more glossy actually.

•IMO:
1.) That statement tells the tale.
2.) As such: You can use whatever
normal alloy Coating that you want.

Bob

Johnydamouni
07-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Thank you for all the replies.
Unfortunately some of these coatings are not available for ud in europe. Especially in Denmark we will be taxed heavily on items above 14 dollars.

I have however invested in nanolex products and cquartz.
Got the following;
Si3d (Think Ill coat it with this and maintain with their new sifinish).
Nanolex professional paint and alloy.
Cquartz rim coating.

But Yeah, Pretty Much coating them is vital with the weather here. :)