PDA

View Full Version : What actually happens when you top a ceramic coating with a wax or sealant?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fightnews
07-27-2017, 05:50 AM
Does anybody know a source of information about this? Assuming a particular coating can be topped, like PBL for example. Can this cause bonding issues leaving you with a hazy or oily mess?

Will a wax just wash off of It? I'd like to learn more but I can't find any legitamite sources or articles.

Maestro Sam
07-27-2017, 07:21 AM
It will not leave a greasy oily mess unless you slather the car with wax. Most of the wax should come off after the next wash. Remember coating is applied to deter contaminants from the vehicle and make the washing process easier. To the coatng, the wax is a "foreign contaminant" that will not stick on to the coating. Waste of time and effort to apply wax on a coated car.

Mike Phillips
07-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Probably nothing happens if you're using a NON cleaning wax or sealant. In this case, the wax or sealant just coats over and sits on the surface so to speak.

Then your paint takes on the benefits, features and characteristics of the wax or sealant until it wears off and then you get the benefits, features and characteristics of the coating.

In my opinion, applying a wax or sealant over a coating defeats the purpose of using the coating.

:)

PouncingPanzer
07-27-2017, 09:31 AM
In my opinion, applying a wax or sealant over a coating defeats the purpose of using the coating.

:)

Agree completely.

silverfox
07-27-2017, 10:49 AM
The guys applying a wax or sealant over a coating know they are wasting money and time and in some cases even compromising the coating's advantages. Plus it's worse than that....to maintain a show car shine, paint should be polished at least once a year and preferably twice even if it's a garage queen. To keep that show car shine, polishing removes any LSP including coatings and requires a complete reapplication of the LSP or in the case of the "wax over coating" addicts the reapplication of two LSPs. It's quite a marketing achievement I must admit.

evo77
07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Technically speaking, a coating such as CQuartz, can have its own brand spray sealant (Reload) applied as a top coat without adverse affects. :)

Not sure if other coatings have an equivalent.

PouncingPanzer
07-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Technically speaking, a coating such as CQuartz, can have its own brand spray sealant (Reload) applied as a top coat without adverse affects. :)

Not sure if other coatings have an equivalent.

Ceramic Pro has "Sport", Gyeon has "Cure"

Nix
07-27-2017, 02:36 PM
instead of wax or sealant i would apply booster products that were designed to work with coatings..Hydro blue is easy to use..

pzp107
07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
but then why does this site feature products like blackfire fire over ice coatings where a coating is applied followed by a wax is it isnt effective and seemingly counter productive? Or is this for more of a permanently bonding coating like cquartz 9h.

Klasse Act
07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
I'll tell you this right now, doing a RW or WW that has wax in it will change the sharp "HD look" of your paint, seen easily on my metallic black paint for sure, so I can only imagine what an actual hand applied wax or even spray wax would do!

JUST DONT DO IT!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
07-27-2017, 04:28 PM
but then why does this site feature products like blackfire fire over ice coatings where a coating is applied followed by a wax is it isnt effective and seemingly counter productive? Or is this for more of a permanently bonding coating like cquartz 9h.

Blackfire is a sealant and not a coating, thus wax over sealant is fine.

GSKR
07-27-2017, 10:42 PM
I kinda disagree there are benefits to wax a car with a coating.Gives your paint a deeper wetlook.I coated my new camaro and waxed it 5 times after.its way more slicker and super smooth and enhances the vibrant paint to a whole different level.Corrected with jescar twins coated with gloss coat and 5 coats of triple x by chemical guys.Once or twice with rupes spray sealant.Depending on the color you can clearly see labor of love.My car is kinetic blue would I use that madness on white or silver absolutely no.

Rsurfer
07-28-2017, 01:43 AM
I kinda disagree there are benefits to wax a car with a coating.Gives your paint a deeper wetlook.I coated my new camaro and waxed it 5 times after.its way more slicker and super smooth and enhances the vibrant paint to a whole different level.Corrected with jescar twins coated with gloss coat and 5 coats of triple x by chemical guys.Once or twice with rupes spray sealant.Depending on the color you can clearly see labor of love.My car is kinetic blue would I use that madness on white or silver absolutely no.

My question is, why bother to even coat your car. If you like the looks that a wax gives you, why bother with a base coating. Five coats of wax is a lot of protection. Now on the other hand if you are the type that may get busy and not have the time then a coating under your wax is just good insurance that your paint is protected.

DBAILEY
07-28-2017, 04:07 AM
I'm afraid that only effective way to deal with the water spots nearly all coatings suffer from is to apply a wax or sealant on top. Even the coating makers have realized that and make their version of spray sealant.

I've gone back and forth over the past few years and I am anti-coating at the moment.
You look like ass after up charging for a coating with promises of longevity of greater than 12 months then have them complain about the water spots within a month.

fightnews
07-28-2017, 04:50 AM
This is my thought, I really like using synergy wax which is supposed to be a hybrid wax/coating. I love the glassy look it gives and I can top it with any way I want and it looks even better.

So why not install the black label coating, which is supposed to have the same glass particles and top it with my own carnuba? I would essentially be accomplishing the same thing but better. I could have more of that glassy look with better carnuba as well?