PDA

View Full Version : Got the Headlight Blues

Pages : [1] 2

Reddwarf
07-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Trying to detail my Mother's car. The headlights are scratched and clouded. A concern not just for looks but safety since she is in her 70's.

I tried using Meg's Plastic cleaner and polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars1017.html) by hand with no noticible results. So I got out the PC and tried the cleaner with an orange pad followed by the polish on a white pad. Much better than before but still not acceptable. On the left side I tried using DP Glass restorer followed by the Meg's polish, about the same results as the other headlamp.

The dealer wants $285 EACH side for replacement. I have found a set of aftermarket on the web for less than half the price ($230 for the pair).

I would try the Wolfgang Lens cleaning system (http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html) but I hate to spend $50 and still end up buying replacement lights. They are so badly scratched I can't imagine anything making it better.

Meghan
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Try the Wolfgang kit, you will not be disappointed!!!!

FloridaNative
07-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Do you want me to write a song about it? I think I've got another blues song in me. :) Seriously though man, that is a pickle. But I think I would go with Meghan's advice and try the WG kit first for two reasons. First, if it works, then you've just saved yourself alot of money on buying the replacement covers. Second, if you still need to buy the covers after treating it, you will still be able to use the WG kit on your's and other cars that you detail so it's not like it's a wasted investment. I took a moment to read the product information on the WG plastik lens cleaners before responding to this thread and to me it seems something that you will be able to use on your own vehicle as a preventative measure to your lenses becoming like your mother's and therefore you are saving yourself money in the long run by keeping up with your lenses now. Just my 2 cents. :)

Meghan
07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Do you want me to write a song about it? I think I've got another blues song in me. :) Seriously though man, that is a pickle. But I think I would go with Meghan's advice and try the WG kit first for two reasons. First, if it works, then you've just saved yourself alot of money on buying the replacement covers. Second, if you still need to buy the covers after treating it, you will still be able to use the WG kit on your's and other cars that you detail so it's not like it's a wasted investment. I took a moment to read the product information on the WG plastik lens cleaners before responding to this thread and to me it seems something that you will be able to use on your own vehicle as a preventative measure to your lenses becoming like your mother's and therefore you are saving yourself money in the long run by keeping up with your lenses now. Just my 2 cents. :)
Your two cents would be more fun if you put it to a tune!:applause:

bluzman
07-03-2006, 01:13 PM

Did I find a fellow blues lover????

FloridaNative
07-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Did I find a fellow blues lover????

Bluzman, you mean you didn't hear my song???? LOL Yes, I am a blues lover as well as many other kinds of music.

abrcrombe
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I wonder if the wolfgang kit works. I tried the Meg's stuff you used with the same results. Ford headlights do this, and it looks really stupid. My thunderbird, my bro's thunderbird, my dad's mark VIII and about every mustang I see. :(

Meghan
07-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the wolfgang kit works. I tried the Meg's stuff you used with the same results. Ford headlights do this, and it looks really stupid. My thunderbird, my bro's thunderbird, my dad's mark VIII and about every mustang I see. :(
Wolfgang kit works... no questioning that product! But as with all of our products, we will stand behind them. You have 30 days to return if you are unhappy, I can tell you this, I have never seen this kit come back!:awesome:
This kit has one fault though, I must be honest... once you use it on your vehicle you will find the results so exciting you will do everyone in your family and all of your friends cars. I ran out of product after a weekend worth of taking home my kit.

abrcrombe
07-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Does your expedition have the ford headlight problem? Did it remove it completely? Maybe I will try it out, but probably not for a while. Other things are more important (Edge2000, Souveran, maybe Leatherique?)

Reddwarf
07-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, since we got the special until tomorrow maybe I'll try it. Except that I was thinking of going with some pinnacle products to get the 20% & free shipping.

Life is full of dilemmas, no?

Meghan - given the pictures and scratches do you really think the WG kit will work?

abrcrombe
07-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I have to wait a while before I can order. Although the 20% discount is inviting, I think there will be somewhat equivalent discounts in the future.

bluzman
07-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Bluzman, you mean you didn't hear my song???? LOL Yes, I am a blues lover as well as many other kinds of music.

Ahh yes! I had forgotten!! Your blues ballad moved me!! I could hear the guitar strings bending as I was reading it!!

FloridaNative
07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
and the harmonica too? Did you hear it too? I could hear the whole song in my head, but I wish I could hear a guy singing it instead of me. Some guy with a gravely voice from too much smoking and whisky! :)

bluzman
07-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Dont forget the slow groovin bassline!! How about we get that guy from the scene in Wierd Science where Kelly Lebrock takes them to that bar and they get drunk!! You know who Im talking about! He would sound good as the singer!!

Kelso
07-03-2006, 10:28 PM
dont you worry about the bass, thats my department:righton: ... im considering souveran on my schecter bass... ive waxed it before but now i got GOOD stuff