PDA

View Full Version : Magic Erasers?

willowcat11
07-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Where do you guys get yours? And are they of good quality?

Thanks!

LEDetailing
07-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Generic Walmart brand.

Use caution with them in automotive applications. I have screwed up some finishes around the house using too much pressure. I've heard them referred to as the equivalent of 3000 grit sand paper. A portion of my maple floors would agree with the 3000 grit comparison:)

Sean M at ShowShine
07-26-2017, 11:39 PM
its really effective on cleaning leather... its also really effective at removing the grain/coating on it. Figured that out years ago on my personal car

LEDetailing
07-26-2017, 11:54 PM
its really effective on cleaning leather... its also really effective at removing the grain/coating on it. Figured that out years ago on my personal car

Oops:) How many seats did you erase, before you realized you were removing the top coating?

willowcat11
07-27-2017, 12:06 AM
Thankyou guys. I will watch out with how much pressure I use.

ducksfan
07-27-2017, 12:27 AM
I haven't had any problems using them yet. I've tried Sonax, Mr. Clean, Chinese Knockoff. I also have Knockout and 3M that I haven't tried yet. I can't really say which is better because I haven't used them extensively. I used the Sonax to clean up scuff marks on plastic and the Mr. Clean and Chinese to cleanup some exterior rubber. All worked great. Cleaned stuff up that nothing else could.

Like I said, I don't have enough experience to use on anything that could be easily damaged. I've pretty much used them as a last resort when everything else I used came up short. But what I used them for, I would definitely go back to them again.

I bought the Sonax here on AG and the others on Amazon (Maybe the Chinese on Ebay. I don't remember.)

For quality, well they worked. The knock on them is you wear through them real quick. I didn't mind, because in each case they worked so well. On anything important, I would probably go to the Sonax first. I trust them for their reputation on auto finishes and I used them on interior plastic with good results. For rubber, I'd save the money and go with the less expensive products again.

gspam1
07-27-2017, 12:36 AM
I soak them in water and am very careful what surface I use them on. Can be a lifesaver in some situations but they are aggressive.

Mike Honcho
07-27-2017, 08:04 AM

Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Sean M at ShowShine
07-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Oops:) How many seats did you erase, before you realized you were removing the top coating?

It wasn't seats that were a problem, it was the interior grab handles on the door of my old 2000's 3 series. They used to turn really dark from my line of work and one afternoon I cleaned them w/ the eraser and noticed it was just smooth and slightly sticky "leather".