PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new polisheer

Pages : [1] 2

Mannymannyfresh
07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Looking for a new polisher

hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers.

All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster.

So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up.

I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one.

I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean.

I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300.

Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now.

Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

:)

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Ha ha....

I just answered you in the Chatbox on how to start a new thread.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/misc.php?do=cchatbox

You're good...

Mannymannyfresh
07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers. All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster. So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up. I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one. I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean. I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300. Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now. Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

AeroCleanse
07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Get a Rupes, you get what you pay for.

PouncingPanzer
07-26-2017, 12:46 PM
My buddy has the CG Torq polisher and so far is not overly impressed. He says it feels unbalanced and vibrates a lot compared to his other choices. I would jump at the Meg's one first if it were me.

I have had fantastic luck with Griot's. But recently my New Rupes Bigfoot has been stealing my heart. It doesn't even feel like it's running. If you were deaf and blind, you wouldn't know until you touched the spinning pad. The thing is so well built too. Buuuuuuuut.......$$$Cha-ching$$$

PouncingPanzer
07-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Get a Rupes, you get what you pay for.

Yep, after getting a Rupes I look at all my other machines as a waste. Yes my Griot's got my feet wet, but for what it cost I was halfway to a Rupes already. Ah well, all is good now.

KBsToy
07-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Check AG`s polishers 15% off storewide (no rupes )

http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ag-newsletters/2017/6-June/6-27-2017-HRLINE.jpg
*15% Off Coupon Code TRIPLE15 valid on in stock items. Not applicable on previously placed orders, RUPES Polisher and polisher kits, single Griot's Garage polisher units, Vapor Chief Vapor Steamers, and gift certificates. One coupon code per order

Kamakaz1961
07-26-2017, 12:55 PM
I would look into getting a Polisher TODAY REGARDLESS of what DA you pick. 15% Off is a great deal. If it were me I would look into the Flex 3401 or Rupes or Boss. The new Mikita DA/Forced Rotation DA looks great too. You will get so many if it were me I would get this one or that one you will actually get confused. Do your research and look at what are the pros and cons of what each DA can do. All I can say since you have the PC7424 XP (which I have too) look into the brands that I mentioned.

I still use the PC as my mini polisher as well as sealant/wax applicator as it is still a great machine.

LEDetailing
07-26-2017, 01:24 PM
I realize it is easy for me to try and spend your money, but hear me out. You bought the Porter Cable and after using it decided to upgrade. What happens in a couple months or a year if/when you are not happy with the performance of the Torq or MT300. You will wish you got the Flex or Rupes.

I bought the Rupes LHR 15 MarkII a few years ago using discounted AG gift certificates. So I got the Rupes for 25% off. I used my own logic to justify the Rupes purchase over a less expensive DA. The Rupes was my first DA. I have had a rotary for many years prior to the Rupes.

Part of me wishes I would have bought the Flex 3401, but I am very happy with my Rupes. If I would have bought the Flex, I'm sure I'd be saying that I'd wished I bought the Rupes:) There are times were forced rotation of the 3401 would be very helpful.

"Buy once, cry once"

"I'm too poor to buy cheap things"

BTW not saying the quality of any of these polishers are cheap. Just a cheesy saying:)

TMQ
07-26-2017, 01:29 PM
You already have a PC polisher so forget those guys you listed below:

(Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300)

Instead---go for either flex, griots 15 boss or a Rupes 15 mark II. Between your PC and these 3 I mentioned---should be able to knock out 95 % of your polishing needs.

Tom

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Welcome to AGO! :welcome:

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post above and broke the huge chunk of text into smaller paragraphs to make it easier for me and everyone else to read.

No one like to read huge block of text, it's too hard on the eyes. :)

All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster.

I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one.

Get the Griot's Garage 6" DA polisher. Do like I recommend in this article and get a 5" backing plate and stick with 5.5" pads.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (http://tinyurl.com/y736nudd)

I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300

The Griot's has as much or more power than both of the above. All three of these tools, the MT300, the Torq 10FX and the Griot's are all "versions" of the Porter Cable. They all have a 8mm stroke length and are free spinning tools. Out of the 4 tools, the Griot's has the most power or the most ability to maintain pad rotation under pressure which is the key to doing fast correction work with these types of tools.

The next step up in tools with POWER to do correction work faster would be gear-driven tools. This would be the

FLEX 3401
Makita PO5000C

and in the future, the new RUPES gear-driven orbital polisher, not sure when it will start shipping.

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 01:35 PM

When you start going down the road towards a $400.00 polisher, read this first... I suggest read and not scan...

FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/108729-flex-3401-rupes-question-i-get-asked-lot-mike-phillips.html)

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Ugh....

Just saw that you created TWO identical threads in different forums.

I read that this was your first post... not sure if that also means you're brand new to "forums".

Regardless.... proper forum netiquette is to only start ONE THREAD per TOPIC.

Creating identical threads in multiple forums creates confusion.

Hang tight while I merge your two threads. Then you'll see your two posts, the one I edited to put in some white space to make it easier to read and the original way you typed it.

Thanks for understanding.

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Looking for a new polisher

hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers.

I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean.

I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300.

Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now.

Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers. All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster. So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up. I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one. I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean. I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300. Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now. Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

There we go... your two threads are now merged into one.

:dblthumb2:

TMQ
07-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Oh yes, forgot about the griots 6" polisher. I have one too. Switched out the backing plate for 5" and it really does a great job!

And it is a powerful tool for $150 bucks! can't beat that...plus a lifetime warranty too.

When it starts to stall on you---may need to turn up the dial a hair more to overcome the stalling. Or get the thin pro pads. It will rotate much easier with these pads.

Tom