PDA

View Full Version : Rims and wheels, does this sound like a better plan?

JeffsRealm
07-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Ok so another shipment came in from Autogeek today, Yay! I went right outside and give it a try.

So I got Wolfgangs Uber Wheel Cleaner and McKee's 37 Tire Coating.

Little background, I have a Brand New Ford F150 only a month old. I completely custom ordered it exactly how I wanted it so I got the high end off road wheels with the XLT Special Edition. 20 inch rims. I had not given the rims or tires a good cleaning since I got it other than with soap and a brush.

I started off with the Uber Wheel cleaner, this stuff works great All the road grime and brake dust came right off. I was actually quite surprised at how much there was in such a short time. The tires really had the brown look going on and this really took all that brown off. I did scrub a lot on the tires with a courser brush, using a boars hair and speed master on the rim. I spent about 10 minutes each tire. I didn't get around to the tire coating though as I figure I better come ask advice here on something I kind of discovered.

So I really thought about putting Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating on the rims, but it was pretty expensive and I figured I would see how this goes first. Yeah I know, expensive is relative however Being new to this buying sealant for paint, and trim and microfibers and grit guards and so on and so on. Well with the size of my tires I actually used over half the bottle of Uber tire cleaner. just making sure everything got wet and sprayed and cleaned. Well 2 bottles of Uber wheel cleaner is the price of one bottle of the Wheel coating.

So I didn't put the McKees 37 Tire Coating on because I got to thinking about this. Would I just be better off taking getting the Wheel coating and spending an afternoon probably taking each wheel off the truck so I can really get it cleaned one at a time and actually doing a doing both the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating and the McKee's 37 Tire Coating? I do not mind doing a lot of up front work to do less work and less money in the long run over time. Would this accomplish this? I am not sure as I am new to all the coatings and things. I really like clean rims and a nice black tire. I really don't want to work on the rims and tires every week or couple weeks but would if I have to. Just trying to work smarter not harder. Oh and not sure if it matters on the coating I am in Michigan and so I will be dealing with salt and ice and so on. I fully expect the McKees tire coating to come off but rims can really take a beating in the salty slushy Michigan winters.

Any thoughts or advice?

Mike Phillips
07-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Would I just be better off taking getting the Wheel coating and spending an afternoon probably taking each wheel off the truck so I can really get it cleaned one at a time and actually doing a doing both the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating and the McKee's 37 Tire Coating?

That's how I did it... Took the wheels and tires off and then cleaned the heck out of them and then coated the heck out of them...

How to Clean & Coat the INSIDE of your car's wheels (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/69426-how-clean-coat-inside-your-car-s-wheels.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2025/Detailers_Wheel_Coating_008.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2025/Detailers_Wheel_Coating_011.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2025/Detailers_Wheel_Coating_013.jpg

A LOT of work but it made future wheel cleaning faster in the future.

It's 4 years since I did all of the above work and it's time to do it all fresh again...

:)

JeffsRealm
07-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks Mike, that is exactly the tire look I am going for and well looking to save some time. In the long run so spending an afternoon to do just the tires and do them right is a much better option.

Getting 4 years out of that is outstanding. Definitely saves a lot of time and money in the long run.